2 newbie questions

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
PServais

2 newbie questions

Post by PServais »

Hi,

maybe someone can help me.
I have 2 questions from which I think that the advanced users already have solved :oops: .
Is it possible to make a indicator control "clickable"?
I would like to click/touch the lamp indicator (see image below, thanks to Menesi for the theme!!!) and have a popup panel appear.
I need the indicator because of its multiple states (4).
19-7-2010 18-27-51.png
19-7-2010 18-27-51.png (38.73 KiB) Viewed 2040 times
Next question:

Is it possible to make a popup panel "dynamic"?
I would like to make a popup that displays the controls for the lamp I chose. (see image up and below)
Because I am just starting with home automation my collection of switches is limited for now.
I don't want to make a new popup everytime I buy a new switch.
19-7-2010 18-28-11.png
19-7-2010 18-28-11.png (30.1 KiB) Viewed 2040 times
I hope that I have explained enough, i am trying to translate my thoughts from dutch to english :?

Thank you for your time.

Patrick
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Re: 2 newbie questions

Post by Osler »

You should take a look at contexted panels for your "dynamic" panels. The panel can changed based upon the context in which it was open (i.e., a button for bedroom would open the panel such that it displays bedroom light info while a button for family room would open it and display family room light info).

For indicator "buttons" you can try overlaying a transparent (opacity 1%) panel change button over the indicator icon. I haven't worked on themes in quite a while so I am not 100% sure this is the way to go about it. Make sure you set the context for each of your panel change buttons :wink:

Osler
PServais

Post by PServais »

Osler wrote:You should take a look at contexted panels for your "dynamic" panels. The panel can changed based upon the context in which it was open (i.e., a button for bedroom would open the panel such that it displays bedroom light info while a button for family room would open it and display family room light info).

For indicator "buttons" you can try overlaying a transparent (opacity 1%) panel change button over the indicator icon. I haven't worked on themes in quite a while so I am not 100% sure this is the way to go about it. Make sure you set the context for each of your panel change buttons :wink:

Osler
The contexted panels work perfect, but the transparent button over a indicator doesn't work at all.
If I put a button over a indicator it always sets itself behind the indicator.
Any solutions for this??

Thank you anyway!!!

Patrick
lostdreamer

Post by lostdreamer »

You can also use multi state buttons for that ;)
if value = "_" change value to "yyy" button image = "_"
if value = "yyy" change value to "zzz" button image = "yyy"
etc.

Nice one about the dynamic panels btw, Then to think I was making multiple panels for over a year now :p
dumb die dumb dumb dumb :)

LostDreamer

edit. Wait, What ?? Why can't i say x x x (without spaces) ?? clbuttic case of forbidden words ?
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

Indicators and buttons don't overlay. We have been looking into that feature but it just didn't get where it should be. Multistate buttons work fine howeverit is a bit complex to set up. Using dynamic images icm with buttons (transparent or not) works. I want(ed) to do the same thing, but ended up using indicators with buttons below the indicators. If you want to use indicators, you could use a button with a transparent hole in them where the indicator would be placed. In this case the indicator does not fall behind the button because the button is transparent at that indicators position. But then the button will not work where the indicator is visible and you would need to press the button in an area just off the indicator. All not very nice solutions. If you really want it to be like in the picture then you need to go with the multistate button option but that can be tricky because lights can change state not only from pressing the theme button, but also while using the true wall switch. Not sure what happens if the multistate button changes state because you use the wall switch. You may end up in a recursive loop. A friend of mine set it up, so it can be done!OR you go with the dynamic image option overlayed by a semi transparent button. This works perfectly, however you need an image path and file to each (dynamic) image (faking the indicator) and probably a script to set the correct path and filename for each image (indicator).
PServais

Post by PServais »

Richard Naninck wrote:Indicators and buttons don't overlay. We have been looking into that feature but it just didn't get where it should be. Multistate buttons work fine howeverit is a bit complex to set up. Using dynamic images icm with buttons (transparent or not) works. I want(ed) to do the same thing, but ended up using indicators with buttons below the indicators. If you want to use indicators, you could use a button with a transparent hole in them where the indicator would be placed. In this case the indicator does not fall behind the button because the button is transparent at that indicators position. But then the button will not work where the indicator is visible and you would need to press the button in an area just off the indicator. All not very nice solutions. If you really want it to be like in the picture then you need to go with the multistate button option but that can be tricky because lights can change state not only from pressing the theme button, but also while using the true wall switch. Not sure what happens if the multistate button changes state because you use the wall switch. You may end up in a recursive loop. A friend of mine set it up, so it can be done!OR you go with the dynamic image option overlayed by a semi transparent button. This works perfectly, however you need an image path and file to each (dynamic) image (faking the indicator) and probably a script to set the correct path and filename for each image (indicator).
Thank you for your extensive answer.
I already solved the indicator problem, I've made a dynamic image for every lamp and placed a button over it with transparency 254.
This works perfect!!!

Scott, my questions are both solved this thread may be closed now.