HB mobile clients - what are you using?

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
yaccri
HouseBot Special Member

HB mobile clients - what are you using?

Post by yaccri »

I've been using several mobile types of clients. however, I couln't find the ideal one. All have issues:

SIMPad: Has low contrast and low brightness. Discontinued.
Viewsonic AirPanel: Works like a remote desktop. Discontinued.
PocketPC: Very nice, but the screen size is too small.
UMPC: Looks nice. I haven't tried it yet, but it's too pricey and actually over-qualified.

I think that the ideal mobile device should have a a screen size similar to the UMPC (7"), with win CE and a charging cradle, and should cost much less than the UMPC.

I couldn't find any device that has these properties.

What types of mobile are you using?
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

I am using a Dell Axim and I have a Viewsonic Airpanel (V150) and two Philips Desxcapes (also 15" SmartDisplays) that are about to come on line.

I agree with your assessment. What we need is not out there at the correct price point. The Elk 7" touchpad is just what you want, but at $1200 a pop I won't be getting one soon. The best price I could find is $850 per if I bought 5 of them....my wife would kick me out of the house. Even at that price, you get more for your money from the low-end UMPC's that are out there.

I think the "niche" for this product is awful big and the first person to put something like this out on the market for $300-500 is going to make a killing.

Osler
PT

Post by PT »

Yaccri

I have the same issues as you. I have a simpad ,airpanels, desxcape,tabet pc,webpad, fujitsu 8" etc the only one that is really near the mark is a 10" ce based viewpad/airpanel 100. This is instant on (as PDA, slight network delay) and has cradles(although pain in the arse to get on and off when situated lower down). The only issue is the lack of memory for elaborate themes and the fact that it is only 11b network speed so steamed video is out.
I would think that the small umpc suffers the same as my 12" tablet and indeed the fujitsu 8" and that is the start up time when switched off or in standby.

The viewsonic V212 is probably my next buy,as it is wireless g ,cradle and a full ce device.
If anyone does have any other suggetsion please share.

As a note I have fitted the AMX on one of my business projects and this has neat wall cradle but at huge cost.
Regards

PT

If it isn't broke,fix it till it is!
JonFo

Re: HB mobile clients - what are you using?

Post by JonFo »

Resurrecting this to see if anything new in mid-2008 meets our criteria for a sub-$500 touch screen, instant-on, 800x600 (or better) controller.

My ideal device would be something like the 10" Viewsonic ViewPanels running current WinCE versions.

My old VP110 airpanel is giving up the ghost after several years.
_______

Jonathan
Deane Johnson

Post by Deane Johnson »

Found this older thread with the same questions I have. I haven't downloaded the HouseBot demo yet, as I don't want to start the 30 day clock ticking until I have a bunch of questions figured out.

Some developments in the works that I am wondering if they represent a usable solution to a larger screen remote as discussed above.

The new Toshiba 7" touch screen tablet looks interesting from what little information is available, and it has an MSRP of $360.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10344497-1.html

Then there's the Apple 10" touchscreen due in the spring for about twice as much as the Toshiba. Not much on it yet.

I am wondering if anyone has thoughts on whether these two items might have application with HouseBot as a remote.

I'd like to turn HouseBot into a poor man's Crestron. Interestingly, when I Googled "ha software most like Crestron", or something like that, the only thing that kept coming up was HouseBot.
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

If it's WinCE it will likely work with HouseBot (or Scott can update the binary to get it to work...Scott is kinda a nice guy that way). I have yet to find a small form-factor device like this at a reasonable price to use on the couch.

For in the kitchen or large wall mounted device, look at the 15.6" eeetop (<$500 now).

Small-ish in wall, Cuwin CE device using RDP (or stand-alone if your theme is small enough).

Osler
Deane Johnson

Post by Deane Johnson »

Here is some additional stuff on the Toshiba 7" tablet.

http://gizmodo.com/5351840/toshibas-jou ... iving-room

I am not knowledgeable enough to know if it would even work for a "couch tablet" type remote with HouseBot, but it looks kind of cool with the base. I like the $350 price tag.

There are several videos on the site.
edgar

Post by edgar »

Hi All,

Currently I am using a Wyse thin client ($75 on Ebay) attached to my big screen flat panel as my main control point. This works ok for SWRemote access and things like when watching TV and a phone call comes in, I send IR to the panel for PIP to come up with my SWREMOTE (changes to my Incomming Call Screen) indicating who is calling, and also announces the caller using TTS.

But....I really need something for stand alone SWRemotes and or smaller scale HTPC capability for Kitchen, Master Bedroom, ETC.

Reading some of the reviews on the Toshiba...many are saying this price point is too high and I tend to agree. This little unit is still way overpriced for what it is I think. Also, I think the screen is too small (also an owner of a Nokia 770). I am trying to think of requirements.....For example, I want to implement the Recipe SWRemote in the Kitchen....reading recipe's on a 7 inch screen while cooking doesn't have a very high WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor).

Take a look at this: You can get a 15 inch Asus Eee TOP (see thread below) for $499 at Newegg. I am seriously thinking about the Asus after seeing many SWRemote candidate devices. IThe Asus has been out a while and I am waiting for the price dropping a little.

As indicated by someone re the Toshiba....on a comparision scale (not necessarily for SWRemote) you can get a way more capable netbook or even a PS3 for the cost of the Toshiba device. IMHO Toshiba is also NOT a leader in these devices. My opinion might be a little slanted as I had a total lemon Toshiba PDA before .

Here is the link to the Asus thread:
http://www.cebotics.com/forums/viewtopi ... ee#p448770

great discussion......

v/r

Kevin
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

While the Toshiba may be too small for your kitchen needs, I really like the styling and docking station. I'm curious to see more information on the device. Especially user feedback on battery life, noise, and whether it really runs CE (the pictures don't look like it) and if you can download your own apps to it.
Scott
Deane Johnson

Post by Deane Johnson »

There are a broad range of uses being discussed here, each requiring a different size screen. For Kevin's kitchen use, I certainly agree, he needs a larger product.

For me the need is a little different, I'm looking for a "couch tablet". I like the docking station also on the Toshiba. My dream is to use HouseBot with a "couch tablet" and have a poor man's Crestron. I want to run my home theater from my chair, and while the Toshiba is in the bottom range of the acceptable screen sizes at 7", it might suffice if it works technically. An inch or two larger wouldn't hurt. I have no desire to access the internet with it, at least not now.

Than, we still have the Apple coming out supposedly with a 10" screen, but at twice the price of the Toshiba.

All of the questions Scott raised still have to be answered on both of these. These will also probably spawn more imitators to consider.
PT

Post by PT »

Hi
I am watching this with interest as the Toshiba seems to be very reasonably priced ( quite cheap actually when comparing other mobile units)
I use 10" and 15" variants although I think the Tosh would certainly work with lounge use.
When available I will order one and let you know what they are like.
Regards

PT

If it isn't broke,fix it till it is!
allanstevens

Post by allanstevens »

I have been using a Samsung Q1 UMPC for the last year now. Picked it up pretty cheap on eBay. Battery life is not very good, but other then that I am very happy with it. Also now got Windows 7 running well.

Other advantage is that it work well for a bit of web browsing while watching tv.
ceejm1

Post by ceejm1 »

Just thought some of you maybe interested in this 5" CE device http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=286831. Picked one up a couple of weeks ago, battery life isn't great but can't really complain for 70 quid.

Cheers
James