Remote Control Library

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Circe640
Advanced Member

Remote Control Library

Post by Circe640 »

How do you export just a Remote COntrol Library?
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

There's no way to export just the IR codes. I think that might be a nice feature though.

The IR codes get exported automatically if there is a Device that has properties associated to the IR Codes. So the least you can do would be to export a single Device that uses all of the IR codes.
Scott
Circe640
Advanced Member

Post by Circe640 »

Ummm... so far 8 remotes at about 25 codes per remote --- I don't think I want to create that device --- OK now for the hard way, back to the database hacks. I think the ability to export a(group of) remote(s) would be very appropriate, then we can share remotes the way ccf files are shared for Pronto people.

PS I have also been hit with the CCF import problem -- and HouseBot will not learn the remote directly (Voom Remote)
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I agree that sharing remote codes via config export would be a nice feature to have. I'm not sure why I didn't add it in the first place.

I have also been hit with the CCF import problem
Can you send me the CCF or XML file?
Scott
Circe640
Advanced Member

Post by Circe640 »

"In the first place" Way back 1.5+ years ago, you were writing this for yourself. Remember waaaayyy back then. You didn't have anybody to share remote codes with -:)
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

This thread has made me wonder about something. I'm doing all of my development and testing on one PC. When it's all working I intend to move it to my production Housebot server. How will I accomplish this if I can't export the IR codes? I presume that I can just copy the database files and asuuming the configuration is identical on both computers that Housebot will work but I would appreciate confirmation on that before I learn all my IR codes (I have a similar number of remotes and codes that I am planning to learn).

-- Dave
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

You can either use the Export Configuration option to create a configuration export file that you can then import on the other machine, or just copy the entire database (HBData.mdb) and Themes directory to the other machine (assuming that the setup on both machines is similar).

The configuration export functionality will export the IR codes and Remote Controls records that are used by the Device Properties selected in the export. There just no way to ONLY export the IR codes by themselves.
Scott
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

Excellent - thanks Scott! As a software engineer I feel compelled to congratulate you on the job you've done with Housebot. The architecture is great and the features are very well thought out. Also the depth of the help files is really useful! :)
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

dlmorgan999 wrote:Also the depth of the help files is really useful! :)
Never thought I hear that one. As a software guy, I'm not the best doc writer, but thanks. :wink:
Scott
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

At work I've been working for the last 18 months with an application that is about as configurable as Housebot (something TOTALLY different though) but the lack of documentation has been a constant annoyance. I have been forced to a model of trial and error to figure things out. Although your documentation might not be enough for a non-engineer type I find that there are enough pointers in there to generally get me going in the right direction. :)