Devices and how to play a Wav file?

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
gary uk

Devices and how to play a Wav file?

Post by gary uk »

Hi,

When a task has run I wish to play a wav from the Devices section, what do I type into the "Path and name of program" too achieve this?

I tried path to the Wav but that doesn't work?

Regards,

Gary
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

One way would be to use the path and file name of a player application. For example using C:\Windows\System32\SoundRec.exe and then using the "/play /close" and the WAV file name as the Arguments should work.

Scott
MichaelK

Post by MichaelK »

Scott, you mention "and the WAV file name as the Arguments should work."

Is there a way to assign a file chosen from a directory listing to a variable , and then place this variable in a play argument?

For example, if I do a directory listing on a remote machine, select a file, can this file name (or path, or UNC path) be saved to a variable, which can then be used in a "play" argument when controlling another media player?

Thanks!
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I think you should be able to do it using a Task and Property Value substitution strings. It's an extra hoop to jump through, but it should work.

Scott
MichaelK

Post by MichaelK »

Well, I think you see where I'm going with this, no? I do a directory listing, and cause the file I click on to launch a player on another computer utilizing the UNC name. Perhaps a workaround for using winamp on a remote machine.

~Michael
gary uk

Post by gary uk »

One way would be to use the path and file name of a player application. For example using C:\Windows\System32\SoundRec.exe and then using the "/play /close" and the WAV file name as the Arguments should work.

Scott

Hi Scott

Tried that and lots of other ways with different players, but they will not work?

"C:\WINDOWS\sndrec32.exe" /play /close c:\correct.wav

This does from the RUN command line interface, but not HouseBot?

Ideally i just want to play a wav file and not see any pop up windows etc?

Regards,

Gary
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Gary,

Strange that it works from a command prompt, but not HouseBot. It works on my XP system, but it does popup the Sound Recorder application for a moment.

There may be ways of running something else in the system that won't display an application, but I'm not familiar with them.

If you're a developer, you could write a very simple application to call the PlaySound() API using the file name passed on the command line. You might even be able to find something like this on a download site somewhere.

Scott
gary uk

Post by gary uk »

Hi Scott

I am running WIN98

the syntax that you typed is different, may be slightly different software?

"C:\WINDOWS\sndrec32.exe" /play /close c:\correct.wav

C:\Windows\System32\SoundRec.exe

Can I suggest that you add the ability to play a wav, MP3 etc, file to your next Version wish list?

As I am sure it would add too the interactivity of your software?

Anyway Scott, great software and when version 2 comes out, i am sure it will be easier to use

Regards,

Gary
gary uk

Post by gary uk »

The following works in msdos and the RUN command but not in HouseBot ?

C:\windows\mplayer.exe/play /close c:\windows\correct.wav

I have placed this in "Devices" "path and name of program" "value", is this the right place?

If you place C:\windows\mplayer.exe in the same place it runs the application (but obviously thats all)

It seems HouseBot may not be passing on the data after the exe?

I am running Win98

Regards,

Gary
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Gary,

Put the /play /close c:\windows\correct.wav in the Arguments Property.

Scott
gary uk

Post by gary uk »

Thanks Scott

Now works fine, I though I would reply as I am sure someone else will read this in the future, so it will help them to get a WAV etc file running!

Regards,

Gary[/quote]