A few questions as I evaluate the software

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

A few questions as I evaluate the software

Post by dlmorgan999 »

I am currently evaluating Housebot and so far I am very impressed with the architecture. I do have a couple of questions though.

I have a web tablet that runs Windows CE.NET 4.1 (*not* PocketPC). I've tried every different software remote and my web tablet just keeps complaining that they aren't a valid image. Do you know if that is a platform that is supported? The tablet is a WebDT 380 - I'm not positive but I think the processor is ARM (I bought it used and so I don't have any documentation).

What is the licensing model? Specifically will you allow two installations (one for doing development) as was done for Essentials? Also if I want to set up device replication do I need to buy multiple copies? If so is there a discount on additional copies?
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I've heard that this software works with a Simpad running CE.net 4.1. Not sure if will work the same on your WebDT, but you might want to give it a shot.

Maybe Alan can answer the licensing questions.... Alan?
Scott
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the info. I found out why none of the programs were working. This tablet uses a National Semiconducter Geode GX1 processor. Would it even be possible for you to build a software remote for this processor or am I just out of luck using it?

-- Dave
acheslow

Post by acheslow »

The license says that "you may install, use, access, display and run only one (1) copy of the SOFTWARE on the COMPUTER. You may also install, use, access, display and run one (1) copy of the SOFTWARE on an additional COMPUTER for testing, configuration and development of add-ins for the SOFTWARE."

If you were to install a second copy for device replication you would need to purchase a second license. If you purchase 2 or more licenses at the same time you get 5% off, with 5 or more at the same time you get 10% off.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

dlmorgan999 wrote:Hi Scott,

Thanks for the info. I found out why none of the programs were working. This tablet uses a National Semiconducter Geode GX1 processor. Would it even be possible for you to build a software remote for this processor or am I just out of luck using it?

-- Dave
Dave,

I think the Geode is supported under the Microsoft Windows CE .Net and 5.0 development platform, but we haven't migrated to those platfoms yet.
Scott
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

Thanks for the license info Alan - that's what I wanted to know.