Newbie help! Need advice on how to do this

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
StylinLP

Newbie help! Need advice on how to do this

Post by StylinLP »

Completely clueless and going to the X10 website made me even dummer than I was before. That has to be absolutely the worst laid out site i've ever seen. Its nothing more than a bunch of linked together adds. I sure learned how much I can save vs retail price. Geesh.

This is what I would like to do.

Buy the Meedio + Niveus PC Remote Control w/USB Receiver deal from here. Use it to control my Rotel DTS/DD5.1 PreAmp and Marquee 8500 and Meedio. Which in turn controls Theater Tek to play back DVD movies on DVD disks and off HD.

When a movie starts I want the front row of recessed lights over the movie screen to dim and go out.

Thier is a wall dimmer switch that does this by the entry way. My HTPC is on the opposite wall. A wall ac outlet is on the other side so the room from the HTPC because the wall ac outlets on the HTPC are dedicated lines.

What X10 products do I buy?

Niveus to control Meedio to control lighting.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

So is it Meedio Essentials that you are planning to do this with or Meedio HouseBot?

I'd also suggest checking out SmartHome.comand HomeToys.comfor additional info on X10.
Scott
StylinLP

Post by StylinLP »

Both. I guess I have to buy both if I want to do this.

I guess I need to buy a X10 Firecracker.

But what other two devices do I need?

Some sort of repeater?

Then a wall unit device to replace the existing dimmer switch?
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I wouldn't recommend the Firecracker. I'd go with something like a PowerLinc USB. It's more reliable, can both send and receive X10, and can address any X10 Device.

If you already have a dimmer, you will need to replace it with an X10 dimmer to be controlled by HouseBot. I'd suggest a Leviton Dimmer as HouseBot can set the dim level with one command. If you go with basic X10 dimmer switch, or decide on using the firecracker, you will need to send a series of individual dim commands to get the light to the desired level (not pretty).

But what other two devices do I need?
Some sort of repeater?
You might need a phase coupler if you have the X10 computer interface and the X10 devices on different electrical phases of your house. I'd give it a try without it first. If you grow you automation very much beyond this, you may find you need one.

Be aware that the plugins needed to couple HouseBot to Essentials as you are describing have not yet been released. You can still begin to implement your system by configuring each of the applications separately (which you would have to do anyway), but you will need to wait on the integration plugins. When the plugins are available, you will then be able to connect the two applications.
Scott
StylinLP

Post by StylinLP »

ohhh..I just thought that Meedio and Housebot would communicat together. Thought that wasa given. Doesn't say that anywhere I've been reading.

I just want to fade in and out and turn off the lights in the cieling from the one dimmer switch thats allready installed on the wall. I see your point about buying better quality parts instead of the cheap X10 products. I just want to make sure that HouseBot is compadiable with controlling them. RF usnits would be nice so I don't need to send signals through the existing ac cables in the house.

Cheap alternative for Meedio to tell Housebot to tell sending unit to tell receiving dimmer switch to lower and turn off those lights.

What would that be?

I will look over that website of that link you sent me.

If I used to software with that PowerLinc USB would I even NEED Housebot??
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

StylinLP wrote:If I used to software with that PowerLinc USB would I even NEED Housebot??
If you're just wanting to send some X10 commands, you can probably do it with just Essentials. I know there are a couple of X10 plugins for Essentials, but I'm not sure of any of the details (although I don't think it works with the USB Powerlinc). You might want to ask in some of the Essential forums.
Scott
StylinLP

Post by StylinLP »

Great thanks! I will ask over there :)