Controlling remotes...

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
wallebalboa

Controlling remotes...

Post by wallebalboa »

Hello.

Two issues on distributed remotes:

1. Is it possible to force a [Reload Theme] on a remote from the server?

this would be a great thing to ensure all remotes are running the latest themes without need to visit all remotes..

2. a way to see (locally on the remote) that it has lost contact with the server..

today i have a time label on each screen and as long as it counts seconds i know the connection is alive.... (This is not convinient on batterypowered wireless equipment becouse you get alot of transmission...)

errormessages or popup windows will not pop..

tnx in advance
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

1) There's no way to force a reload from the server. I had considered adding more logic in this area so a remote would either notify the user that there is a newer theme, or just go ahead and reload it as you are suggesting.

2) There's currently no way to see that the remote has lost it's connection. It really shouldn't lose its connection, unless the server has been restarted. If you are seeing connection losses, there may be another issue. The remote will try and reconnect the next time it tries to send a command to the server if the connection was lost, but I agree that there could be some better handling of this situation.
Scott
wallebalboa

remote request..

Post by wallebalboa »

Tnx for your reply scott.

i think the lost connection thing is important. ex if you want to monitor alarms remotly... you can look at an alarm screen and it looks ok but no alarms will go thru... (i am connecting my heatingsystem, intruder/burglar alarm etc...) Lost contact can easyly happen on a network with many components.... specially wireless... :shock: )

Reload Theme would be a nice function..

Looking fwd to see the development in this area..

Tnx Balboa
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

The SWRemote is supposed to reconnect to the server if the connection is lost. However, I know for a fact that it doesn't seem to automatically reconnect as it should.
Scott