x10 and dimming

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
intastella

x10 and dimming

Post by intastella »

Apologies for the newbie question. I've been looking around and couldn't find anything in the help or forums about x10 and dimming.

Can someone point me in the direction of where to find out how to set up tasks that work with the x10 lamp modules. I can turn things on and off but can't get my head around dimming.

I have x10 components made by marmitek (I'm in the UK) and have the CM11 computer console thingy.

I'm guessing that I can't use the Leviton Dim features.

Essentially, I'd like to be able to set a level like 40% on one or two of my lamps. With the CM11 and the software it came with (ActiveHome), I was able to set up some macros and it does manage to dim things properly (but only after brightening them up).

I don't mind doing that, I just don't know how to program it or where to find that information out.

Any help appreciated.

intastella
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

intastella,

The HouseBot CM11a Hardware Interface handles three different kinds of Dimming. The HouseBot X10 Devices also handle this.

Here's a quick overview of the Dimming support in HouseBot:
  • Leviton Dim: This works only for Leviton brand switches (as far as I know). With one command, it will set the switch to a level between 0 and 100. Very nice way to dim.
  • X10 Preset Dim Level: Not many X10 devices support this (PCS brands do). It is similar to the Leviton dimming because it will set the switch directly to a dim level. Not as granular as it only supports levels between 0 and 32.
  • Basic X10 Dim & Bright: By sending individual X10 commands, the lighting level can be increased or decreased by one unit at a time. Although this method works, it's really difficult to control. If the system could always know the current dim value, it could simply send the appropriate number of Dim or Bright commands to the switch to get to the desired level. However, if someone changes the dimming from the switch (which always happens), then the system has lost sync with the level on the switch and the dimming won't work correctly. Really nasty dimming.
The Basic X10 Dimming can be done by sending Dim and Bright commands through the Direct X10 Command of the X10 Device, or through the Composite Property of the X10 Controller Device. A long time ago, the Devices used to try and do the thing like some other packages did where it ramped all the way to bright and then back down. It drove me crazy and never really worked reliably so it was removed.

A while back I put together a sample configuration that will allow you to do this, but it's a little messy. I've attached a configuration sample file. Download this file to your PC. Make sure the extension is .hbx (sometimes the browser renames it to .zip). Drag and drop the file onto HouseBot and restart it. This will create a Task, two Devices, and a CM11 Interface (unless you already have one configured) in your system. To use it, Change the values of the X10 Dimming Vars to what you want. Be sure to set the X10 Dim level last.
Scott
intastella

wow - thanks

Post by intastella »

What a great reply! You have fully and completely answered my question, Scott - thank you!

OK, so now that I know my options, I'd really like to have a go with that configuration script you were talking about.

I may be missing something, but I couldn't see a link to it anywhere. Does the forum support attaching files? Am I looking in the wrong place.

Thanks again for your help, these forums are great things!

:P

intastella
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Am I looking in the wrong place.
It's attached to the post that I said. When I just read your response, I didn't see it [either]. After I hit refresh on my browser, I was able to see the attachement in the post... so give that a shot.

If you still can't see it, let me know and I'll email it to you.
Scott
viktor

Re: wow - thanks

Post by viktor »

intastella wrote:I may be missing something, but I couldn't see a link to it anywhere. Does the forum support attaching files? Am I looking in the wrong place.
You have to be logged in to see attachments in posts.
Sincerely,

Viktor
Crashless

Post by Crashless »

I believe you have to be a member of the MDN (meedio developer's network) to attach files to posts.
intastella

works like a charm

Post by intastella »

Yes, I couldn't see the link because I wasn't logged in.

Scottbot, thank you again for your help. Your sample script was very helpful and illustrated very well what needs to be done. I think I understand enough of it to be able to use it and replicate it to different devices for different dimming purposes.

The gist of what I understand is something like:

-first dim the lamp down to zero (by using the Dim:31 code - why 31?)

-then bring the lamp back up to the level indicated in the device X10 device level code.

It seem to work quite well. I assume I just create different levels for different dim levels on different lamps and then just run different tasks to activate them.

One thing I don't understand is the numbering for dimming.

Why does telling it to Dim:31 fade it down to zero?

Why does an X10 dim level of 25 give me quite a bright light but then 38 gives me much lower?

Does it run in increments of 31? It seems 62 gives me full light and 35 gives me a tiny amount.

I'm going to keep playing with it but thank you so much for getting me past this first hurdle.

:D

intastella
ScottBot
Site Admin

Re: works like a charm

Post by ScottBot »

intastella wrote:-first dim the lamp down to zero (by using the Dim:31 code - why 31?)
Basic X10 dimming is done in 32 (0 - 31) steps. So sending 31 dim commands will make sure it hits the dimmest level.
It seem to work quite well. I assume I just create different levels for different dim levels on different lamps and then just run different tasks to activate them.
That's what I would do. You can have all of the Tasks simply set the values of the X10 Dimming Vars Device. It's a littly kludgy, but it should work fine.
Why does an X10 dim level of 25 give me quite a bright light but then 38 gives me much lower?
Does it run in increments of 31? It seems 62 gives me full light and 35 gives me a tiny amount.
It sounds like values over 31 are wrapping back to 0. Not exactly what I would expect to happen, but I suppose it depends on the hardware.
Scott
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Intastella,

exactly which of the Marmitek X10 dimming modules are you using? I'm asking because a number of the European mfr's do implement Leviton style dimming commands (extended X10) - for example the LD11 DIN rail unit available in the UK responds well to 'Leviton' dim to set level commands - you can even vary the dim rate. It may be worth experimenting a little - its unlikely that you'll damage anything with an incorrect command.

Chris
Dakkar

Leviton style dimming in Europe

Post by Dakkar »

ChrisR wrote:Intastella,

exactly which of the Marmitek X10 dimming modules are you using? I'm asking because a number of the European mfr's do implement Leviton style dimming commands (extended X10) - for example the LD11 DIN rail unit available in the UK responds well to 'Leviton' dim to set level commands - you can even vary the dim rate. It may be worth experimenting a little - its unlikely that you'll damage anything with an incorrect command.

Chris

Hi ChrisR,

I live in Europe and I am interested in a dimmer micromodule with a Leviton style dimming commands.

I have heard about "Extended X10" commands. Are they equivalent to Leviton?

Loook at this link:

http://www.marmitek.com/en/pdf/9611.pdf

do you think that the LW12 will be able to dim in the leviton style?

Thank you very much to you and to everyone who will answer to this!

Dakkar
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Dakkar,

I've had a quick look at the Marmitek info on their website and in the UK resellers' websites for the same module, but unfortunately there isn't enough detail to be sure. I can only suggest that you e-mail Marmitek and ask them if the LW12 module responds to same extended X10 dimming commands as their LD11 module. If you get an answer please post it in the forum as the LW12 looks to be a really neat way of hiding dimmers within existing installations.

Please note that you cannot use a CM11 or equivalent to set up the initial address in these micromodules (I know this because I have an AWM2). According to one UK reseller you need something like the IR7243.

Best of luck

Chris
Dakkar

Post by Dakkar »

ChrisR wrote:Dakkar,

I've had a quick look at the Marmitek info on their website and in the UK resellers' websites for the same module, but unfortunately there isn't enough detail to be sure. I can only suggest that you e-mail Marmitek and ask them if the LW12 module responds to same extended X10 dimming commands as their LD11 module. If you get an answer please post it in the forum as the LW12 looks to be a really neat way of hiding dimmers within existing installations.

Please note that you cannot use a CM11 or equivalent to set up the initial address in these micromodules (I know this because I have an AWM2). According to one UK reseller you need something like the IR7243.

Best of luck

Chris

It seems that the AWM2 doesn't act like the LD11, while the LWM1 does!

It is also a 2 way device, so it communicate its state back to the CM11. (Source http://www.intellihome.be)

Dakkar
åsmund

Post by åsmund »

hello all.

I have just bought a x10 CM11 Computerinterface

LM12 - Lampmodule, IH2010

AM12 - Devicemodule, IH2020

The AM12 works ok, i just ned to turn it on and of.

But the lamp module would not dim with meedioBot, so I tried ScottBot`s config file and, yes it did respond, but it would not go smooth from 0-31. 10 is 5 and 31 is 3,, or someting, at least it`s not right.

My lamp module does not have a physical dimmer, the only way is with the computer.

So if anyone could give me some guidence I greatful :)

edit: I just discoverd that pherhaps the dimming value isn`t so bad after all,,it`s just that it turn of and on for the new timing.

The regular activehome software does not do that.