Does Meedio Remote control work X10 in UK

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
impact

Does Meedio Remote control work X10 in UK

Post by impact »

Q. does the Meedio Housebot + Remote control work with X10 systems that run in the UK as I only know that the frequencies for X10 devices are different from the USA (due to the voltage difference). So the only thing I can think of is that any US mains powered devices wont work in the UK but I cant see any reason why the Meedio supplied remotes wouldnt work with UK systems.

Any advice?
ChrisR

Housebot and X10 in the UK

Post by ChrisR »

Impact,

I think your question raises a few issues. Firstly the Meedio remotes are bundled with the Essentials product, not Housebot. Housebot can accept commands from various types of remote, but is a generic tool. You'll have to configure it carefully to get your X10 devices to respond to remote commands. The remotes bundled with Essentials may not operate sucessfully with Housebot and I hope that Scott or Alan may be able to comment - my thinking is below.

If you want X10 devices to respond to remote commands, mediated through Housebot, then you need to consider the two points of interface:

a) remote to Housebot on the PC

b) Housebot on the PC to X10

I can't comment on a) from direct experience as I don't use remotes (yet), I think the following is the case (experts please correct me).

i) The streamzap remote Meedio bundles with Essentials is an IR unit, but I'm not sure that Housebot can talk to the bundled IR receiver. Housebot can talk to the USB-UIRT and maybe through Girder to a few other receivers (e.g. Redrat3). You'll need Scott or maybe Alan to confirm compatibility.

ii) The Niveus remote is RF and IR. The bundled PC receiver (with Essentials) is RF, but I've no idea if Housebot can directly talk to it. Also see comments below regarding RF approvals in the UK.

iii) Housebot 'themed' remote client software is designed work on PocketPC or WinCE platforms - using WiFi for a Network link to the Housebot server. If you want the full Housebot experience get yourself moving in this direction.

iv) RF X10 remotes - these will work in UK with Housebot providing you have the rest of the X10 interface working (see below). Approved RF frequencies are different in UK from US (433MHz in UK - 310MHz in US), if using RF make sure you have compatible receiver and remote. Housebot talks directly to the MR26 RF receiver, but I haven't found a UK frequency version of this. This style of remote will allow you to send X10 style signals to Housebot. Letsautomate sell US RF kit in the UK, but it is not CE marked, so you get no comebacks if it get's interference from legal operators at 310MHz and you might (vv unlikely) get a visit from the Home Office for operating an illegal transmitter.

b) Housebot to X10 is fine in the UK provided that you use the right flavour of PC to X10 interface. The CM12U (serial to UK X10) is the UK version of the CM11. Just setup your copy of Housebot to use the CM11 and you should be fine. The range of X10 kit available in the UK is generally more restricted - we don't have an equivalent to the Powerlinc USB available (unless someone can tell me different!). LD11 DIN rail dimmers respond to 'Leviton' dim commands in Housebot - I can give you some hints on how to vary the dim rate on these modules.

One final comment - if you haven't got X10 yet consider Z wave (be an early adopter!) - letsautomate have some UK kit currently in stock. Z wave is expected to be much more reliable than X10. Housebot has a Z wave plug-in.

Have fun

Chris
NickLe

Post by NickLe »

The Marmitek remotes work fine for direct X10 control e.g. A4 ON, this is OK for firing tasks in Housebot.

I also use a couple of Prontos with wireless mod and X10 CCF files for a prettier interface. Again the end result is a direct X10 control.

My favourite toy at the moment though is using my Orange M1000 SPV phone running the housebot remote control package and using just bluetooth to talk to the housebot server. How cool to have your wireless remote control for all lights, fans, music etc with you on your mobile phone!! Just wish it was 802.11 instead, but the M1000 doesn't give it unless you stick an SD wireless card in - I tried it and it works but you have half an inch of eminently breakable plastic hanging out the top of the phone.