Auto Shutoff monitor on multiple monitor setup.

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
switzch

Auto Shutoff monitor on multiple monitor setup.

Post by switzch »

Hey guys,

I asked this question over at avs and in the girder forums, but noone seems to know the answer and I thought that before I loose hope I would ask here.

What I want to do is have housebot turn off the touchscreen monitor after a certain amount of time. This may sound easy, but I have a multiple monitor setup, and when housebot turns off the touchscreen it also turns off the signal to the TV.

If anyone knows how to turn off one display, while keeping the other on it would be great.
spike5884

Post by spike5884 »

Ok, I must be missing something in what you are really trying to do. Are you talking about a screen saver or the actual power. If power, then a simple x10 module could be used to turn off the power to the monitor.
switzch

Post by switzch »

I am talking cutting off vga to the monitor to put it in standby.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I guess the way it works for multi-monitor situations is a bit undefined. The Software Remote simply sends a Windows message (SC_MONITORPOWER) to shut off the power to the monitor. I don't know of any way to specify a particular monitor, so I would have assumed the call would simply blank the monitor that the app is displaying to that sent the message.

In effect, this is the same thing as when the monitor goes into power save mode after a period of time (if so configured). Can you have one of your monitors in power save mode without having the other? If not, maybe this is a video driver issue.
Scott
switzch

Post by switzch »

Thanks Scott. Yah, its a driver issue. I have found one program which may work, but I havent got a chance to take a good look at it. My only solution to this would be to have housebot bring up a black screen instead of sending the message to cut the power, any possibiltiy of adding this?