Getting Started with Home Automation...

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
switzch

Getting Started with Home Automation...

Post by switzch »

I am about to dive into total home automation.. I have been dealing with the HTPC side of things for a while and am very happy with the results of meedio and other third party applications..

In terms of controlling lights, what is the best way without wasting money to get started? I have 1 firecracker and 1 x10 light module.. they work great, but before I start spending some real cash and getting modules for lots of devices i thought i would chime in and ask the experts..

Any good advice is welcome..

Cheers.
Circe640
Advanced Member

Post by Circe640 »

#1 Scrap the firecracker and buy the Powerlinc USB interface

#2 Make sure any lamp modules support direct dimming - many do not does this (X10, RS, Magnavox brands for exampl)

#3 Have Fun!!!
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

All three are good points. The Firecracker won't get you too far if you plan on diving in.
Scott
Mick

Post by Mick »

Hi guys. Would the Z-Wave stuff be a valid option yet?
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

If you just want to control lights, and don't mind spending a bit more for the equipment, it's a great option. Over time, there should be more and more support of different equiupment using Z-Wave. Z-Wave's a great system (wireless and much faster than X10), but X10 has the advantage of having so much more device support.
Scott
switzch

Post by switzch »

Thanks Guys.. So I guess I will be picking up the usb powerlinc interface..

In terms of modules are these the best bet, any thing cheaper that does the same thing?:

Switch http://www.smarthome.com/2384.html

Lamp http://www.smarthome.com/2000s.html

Is there a wall receptacle that is similiar to the ones above?
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

The switchlinc PLC's are good. I personally use the Leviton brand. Both support direct dimming and will work with HouseBot. Depending on what you go with, you may find things cheaper at Worthington Distribution.
Scott