PLEASE HELP w/ X10 motion detector

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Jcarte

Post by Jcarte »

How do I go about setting up an x10 motion detector? Is it a controller? and if so how do I define it (house code, unit code) to HB? OR

Is it a transmitter? and if so why can I not get it to work? OR

Is it someting else all together? and if so what?

I know these are probably stupid questions but I'm a newby and trying to set up my HB. :? PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks

Jeff :?:
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Jeff,

There are a couple of different ways that you can use HouseBot with X10 motion detectors. The most common way is probably to use an X10 wireless base unit. In that case you configure an X10 Transmitter (since the X10 base actually transmits the X10 signal) with the HouseCode setup on the base and the UnitCode setup in the motion detector.

Another option is to use an MR26aor W800(best option in my opinion). These devices will require additional plugins that you can download from this site. If you go that route, I can give you the specifics.
Scott
Jcarte

Post by Jcarte »

Thanks for the reply Scott,

Let me see if I've got this straight,

1) I've set my MS16A (motion detector) to House code A Unit code 1

2) I've set my TM 751 (transmitter) to House code A Unit Code 1

3) I've set my lamp module (that I want the MS16A to control) to House code A unit code 3

4) I've built the TM 751 as an X10 transmitter in HouseBot and set it to House Code A Unit Code 1

5) I've built the lamp module in HouseBot and set it to House code A Unit Code 3

6) I've built a task in HouseBot and set the task Statement as follows:

If ( 'motion detector.Power state' is Equal 'On' ) And

If ( 'Lamp module.Power state' is Equal 'Off' ) Then

Change 'Lamp module.Power state' to 'On'

Else If ('Motion detector.Power state' is Equal 'Off' ) Then

Change 'Lamp Module.Power state' to 'Off'

Yet it still dont work!

Where did I go wrong?

Thank you again,

Jeff
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Jeff,

It sounds like things are setup correctly. Here are a few things to check.
  • Verify from the History tab of the motion detector.Power State Property that the property is changing to On or Off. This will tell us if there's a problem with receiving the X10 command or processing it with the Task.
  • Verify that the motion detector.Power State property is set for Allow Same Value Changes (Check box on Property General Settings tab).
  • Verify that your X10 Hardware Interface is setup correctly and enabled. What X10 Interface hardware are you using?
Scott
Jcarte

Post by Jcarte »

Thanks Scott,

I checked the allow same value change box for the Motion detector.Power State and it appears to be working correctly now. What does this 'Allow Same Value Change' mean?

I am using a CMD11a X10 interface.

I have a Tira-IR USB interface that I will be attempting to set up using Girder in the next couple of weeks any suggestions of common pitfalls to avoid?

Thanks again for for help. I have been looking a Home Automation SW for about 2 years and am glad that I decided to wait. HouseBot appears to be just what I've envisioned HA SW should be.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks again,

Jeff
ScottBot
Site Admin

Re: PLEASE HELP w/ X10 motion detector

Post by ScottBot »

Jcarte wrote:What does this 'Allow Same Value Change' mean?
When a property value changes it will trigger a property change notification that will cause Tasks to evaluate their condition list and possibly execute their task list. The Allow Same Value Change option effects whether a Task will reevaluate it's conditions if the value changes.... but doesn't really change. For example, if a value changes from On to On and 'Allow...' is set, it will trigger the task. If it is not set, the Task won't trigger. As you expand your system you may find instances where you don't want the Task to execute if the value hasn't really changed. That's what this setting is for.
I have a Tira-IR USB interface that I will be attempting to set up using Girder in the next couple of weeks any suggestions of common pitfalls to avoid?
Not really. I assume that you will be using Girder to send the commands to HouseBot using the External Control plugin?? If so, you should be able to execute Tasks or change property values without a problem.

Have fun :!:
Scott