Will the iPad have any application as a couch tablet?

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
lostdreamer

Re: Will the iPad have any application as a couch tablet?

Post by lostdreamer »

Does anyone know if jQuery ( www.jquery.com ) works on iDevices?

I was building a webinterface for Housebot before but stopped since a lot of mobile devices didnt support (enough) javascript.
Therefor: To get the current status of a device, you would allways need to refresh the page.

I made another version that will check through ajax calls, but didnt work to well on Win Mobile 5<.
If the iDevices do run jQuery, I could just finnish up on the system and upload here for anyone who wants it.

LostDreamer
roussell
Advanced Member

Post by roussell »

Here is a simple app that works well to control Housebot form the Web, It was written back in 2006 by member AllanStevens.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=855645&start=0

I used this for a while before I got RDP working.

Terry
roussell
Advanced Member

Post by roussell »

spike5884 wrote:
roussell wrote: The web-based app could be pretty nice with the html5 tricks that are available these days. That would require a web-server on HB too though of course.
I second this option. This is what Google is doing to get gVoice on the iPhone when Apple denied their app. It makes a lot more sense. Going this direction means HB could then support any html5 compliant browser. So, with one shot, a browser based SWRemote could be used on iPhone, iPad, Android (I have a Droid), and so on.
Agreed, I think the largest obstacle right now is the limited support for a lot of the HTML 5 transforms and animations. Currently the only browsers that support it fully is Safari 4.0.4 or higher in Snow Leopard, the webkit nightly builds, and Mobile Safari on the iDevices. Android has no support just yet. Of course, it's never too early to start building it, I'm guessing more devices will have support soon.

You can find a decent test here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=855645&start=0 This guy recreated the Star Wars opening theme in pure HTML5. It only works for me on an iPhone and the iPhone simulator that comes with xcode. It does not render correctly on Safari 4.0.4 on Leopard (my version) - just Snow Leopard.

Terry