YouTube CeBotics Housebot IPod Touch Interface Demo

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
jonkjon

YouTube CeBotics Housebot IPod Touch Interface Demo

Post by jonkjon »

I created a video for YouTube showing what can be done using Housebot. I am previewing my interface to the Ipod Touch. There is a similar video out there that Girder is showing. I felt that HB should get some credit too. So i tried to pick something that was current and might generate some interest in home automation for the younger crowd......Hope ya like it so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2aBmlO14go
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Awesome! Thanks for the time and effort to put that together and promote HB.
Scott
wetwired

Re: YouTube CeBotics Housebot IPod Touch Interface Demo

Post by wetwired »

Hi, jonkjo. Could you walk us through how you created that interface for housebot on the ipod touch.
It would be much appreciated.
jonkjon

Post by jonkjon »

Sorry to be so long in responding to this. I have been on vacation for a while and am still catching up ...... I am using the com control object to create aspx files for controlling my devices with the ipod touch. This means that you will need to have an webserver to host the asp files. The help files contain some really good examples of using the com control object.
I used the express editions of Visual Studio to create the asp pages. I have also made some improvements to the original version that is posted on youtube. I basically started using the ajax controls to cause the pages to be dynamic and not have to reload on every button press. This makes the interface much more appealing to use. The coding that i used is pretty specific to my setup and probably doesn't contain much information on how to do things for other setups.
I posted the video just to show what is possible with HB. There is quite a bit of work involved but i am willing share how i did things if you have specific questions.
I used photoshop ps3 to create my own buttons and backgrounds. There are plenty of royalty free graphics available on the web......
If you don't have much experience in coding asp, the express editions are a great starting point and i would recommend you start there. Hope this helps!
markd
Advanced Member

Post by markd »

So theoretically you could access these web pages with any browser? Is this an alternative to using a SW remote?

Thanks

Markd
jonkjon

Post by jonkjon »

Yes that's correct. Although i wouldn't consider it on par with the SWRemote.......One thing worth mentioning is that you really need to be sure and dispose of the com control object properly when you are done with it in your code or else it will cause problems that would eventually require a restart of your pc.
Again, i just made the video to show folks how powerful this application can be. It really is one of the best automation apps i've ever come across. (And i have at least 5 other full version automation applications.) Scott gets all the accolades here! I just thought he deserved a little free marketing ;)