serial device disables on reboot

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
incoronado

serial device disables on reboot

Post by incoronado »

HB not saving serial devices enabled status on reboot. I have to go in and enable them on every reboot.
Last edited by incoronado on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

That's strange, mine are sticky. Can you test this: Enable, then stop the HB Server manually without a reboot and restart it again. What happens? If they are still enabled, what happens than after a reboot?

You can always write a script that interfaces with HB's own access database to enable your devices :D

Anyways, it should work. I have the latest version and did a reboot and all seems fine.
Timoh
Advanced Member

Post by Timoh »

My serial devices always come back as enabled as well. The only time they did not was when my USB to serial adapter decided to give itself a different com port number.

My device did not come back as enabled since the it was trying to use a now non-existent com port.

Tim
incoronado

Post by incoronado »

Exiting HB and loading it back without a reboot leaves them enabled. After a reboot they come back disabled. I just tested it. I'm running an 8 port octopus serial card. The ports do not change. All I have to do is to go into HB and enable without changing any other options to make it work after reboot. I'm beginning to think that I'm trying to load HB (loading automatically at boot) before the services are completely started.
incoronado

Post by incoronado »

It was what I suspected. I added a 45 second delay to the startup batch file and all works fine. No sleep command in batch programming, though, so I had to emulate one using ping 127.0.0.1 -n 45>NUL
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

That's strange. If it was last enabled when HB is closed, it will try and enable it on startup. If there is an error enabling it, it will set the enabled state to "No" so it won't try and do it the next restart (since some user interaction may be needed). But if this was the case, you would have seen an error.
Scott