HouseBot as Windows service

Have an idea for a new feature? Voice your opinion here.
Hesse

HouseBot as Windows service

Post by Hesse »

Is it possible to add support to run HouseBot as a Windows service. It would be great to be able to be able to have housebot running in the background without having to log into my main server computer.

Jesse
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Jesse,

This is on the list. I'm not sure when it will be implemented, but hang in there.

Scott
Hesse

Post by Hesse »

Scott,

Great, it was just on my wish list. Glad to hear that it may actually be implemented!

Jesse
Automate

Post by Automate »

Is running HB as a service going to make it into 2.0 or will it be a later release?

Thanks
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Probably later. I'll take a quick look at it for 2.0, but I have a feeling that it's going to be tricky. If I can knock it out quickly, I'll do it.
Scott
drewkeller

Post by drewkeller »

i tried running it as a service with firedaemon (firedaemon.com) and it didn't seem to work, not sure why. is there a simple fix for that?
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

drewkeller wrote:i tried running it as a service with firedaemon (firedaemon.com) and it didn't seem to work, not sure why. is there a simple fix for that?
I installed firedaemon and was able to get HouseBot to run as a service. I only had a script running that would beep every second so I knew it was alive, so it's hardly a conclusive test. However it is promising and a simple way to get it to work.

In my configuration I hade to check the 'Interact with Desktop' check box in FireDaemon. I could use a login and it would work, but you could not actually see the app, which makes it hard to configure.

What problems were you seeing when trying to use firedaemon?
Scott
drewkeller

Post by drewkeller »

the problem was, it didn't seem to be running my scheduled tasks

i'll try the "interact with desktop" option

thanks.

P.S.

yep, it looks like that will work.

i noticed that restarting the service while logged on displays the tray icon, so maybe add a task that restarts the service at the first logon? how would i do that with HB? also, is there a way to perform something at system startup, before log on? i couldn't find anything about it.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

drewkeller wrote:i noticed that restarting the service while logged on displays the tray icon, so maybe add a task that restarts the service at the first logon? how would i do that with HB? also, is there a way to perform something at system startup, before log on? i couldn't find anything about it.
I don't understand exactly what you are wanting to do. You can set the startup mode for the service to be 'Automatic' so it will start when the system starts (before anyone logs on).
Scott
drewkeller

Post by drewkeller »

well, i could do it this way...

set FireDaemon to restart the service if it is shutdown

use Windows PowerPro to shutdown HB at startup

i think i have to use PPro because

1. Housebot can't shut itself down

2. Housebot doesn't monitor logins