w800rf32a help needed

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Nullen_Void

w800rf32a help needed

Post by Nullen_Void »

I know I must be missing something, but...

Installed & configured my w800 interface on COM3

The example below is in regard to turning a light off, but any command from the handheld RF remote is indicated in Housebot and my software remote correctly, but no x10 command is being sent to the light. This issue happens on all commands from the handheld RF remote regardless of unit code, house code or RF remote used.

Using a handheld RF remote I send lighting command A2off. Housebot changes the power state property of A2 to off.
Housebot and my software remote now indicate that A2 should be off. But the light does not go off.
If I use the software remote or housebot to change the power state property to off, the light turns off and this is correctly indicated in housebot or the software remote.

The w800 is getting the commands and passing them to Housebot, Housebot changes the property state to what was requested by the RF remote but does nothing more. (no x10 command is sent)

How do I fix this? I'm sure as I said before "I know I'm missing something".

Thanks for any assistance or advice given.
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Re: w800rf32a help needed

Post by Osler »

I don't think it is intended to work the way you are doing it. I use one of these, but only for security devices (motion sensors, reed switches, etc.). I think you need to have the remote change the status of a dummy device and then have a task act upon the status change of the dummy device to control the real device.

Osler
kilowatt

Post by kilowatt »

To get the received data repeated out your power line interface you should go to "Hardware Interfaces':WR300RF32A (or whatever you named it) then double click on 'Hardware Module Type' to bring up the Hardware Interface Information window. Uncheck 'Restrict notifications'. This allows the notification to be sent to devices that are linked to other hardware interfaces but that are the same type ie X10 protocol devices. This caused the RF receiver and the Power line controller to act like a Transceiver.

The other option is as Osler stated that you have a task trigger on the received RF data which then changes the state of whatever devices you want that are connected to the x10 Power line controller. I use this mode so I can decide which lights will respond when I turn on a particular RF switch. I can have separate RF switches that both control one light but perhaps turn on and off different other light simultaneously. This allows more flexibility but also more configuring.

Mark
Nullen_Void

Post by Nullen_Void »

I checked the "Restrict notifications" and it was\is not checked on either the W800 or the CM11.
To get the received data repeated out your power line interface you should go to "Hardware Interfaces':WR300RF32A (or whatever you named it) then double click on 'Hardware Module Type' to bring up the Hardware Interface Information window. Uncheck 'Restrict notifications'. This allows the notification to be sent to devices that are linked to other hardware interfaces but that are the same type ie X10 protocol devices. This caused the RF receiver and the Power line controller to act like a Transceiver.
Looks like I'll have to set up tasks, but I wanted to avoid that because the extra delay tasks cause. :?

Ok the W800 was a waist of cash, (for what I need to accomplish) anyone know of anything better than a TM751 or RR501?

Thanks guys
Nullen_Void

Post by Nullen_Void »

My ability to code in VB is non existant.

Anyone interested in writing an app that connects to a com port listening for the w800 and when it gets a valid x10 code it sends it to housebot via HB_Control.exe?
kilowatt

Post by kilowatt »

Like I said there are two options already built in to housebot. One uses tasks and with the other option you should be able to get it to act like a transceiver (ie TM751). When you uncheck 'Restrict Notifications' housebot repeats the received RF X10 commands out the X10 Power Line interface. What do you use for your X10 power line interface? I'll check with my setup to see if it still work as expected.

Mark
Nullen_Void

Post by Nullen_Void »

I use a cm11a and running & running HB 3.30
kilowatt

Post by kilowatt »

I have verified that the repeater mode is not working as I expected. The restrict notifications flag does effect whether the devices linked to the CM11A get updated by what is received via the W800RF32A. But, the X10 commands never get sent by the CM11A no mater what the restrict notifications flag is set to. This used to work differently.

Scott,

Is this change expected or is this a new bug.
It seems different than the testing I did back during this thread:

http://www.cebotics.com/forums/viewtopi ... 3&t=855912

Mark
kilowatt

Post by kilowatt »

To get it to work with a task:
Add an "x10 Controller" device linked to each of the interfaces (CM11A and W800RF32A).
Create a task to repeat the commands from the W800RF32A to the CM11A.

If ( 'WR800ARF32A.Received Composite Property' is Not Equal '''' ) Then
Change 'CM11A.Composite Property' to '%%WR800ARF32A.Received Composite Property%%'

There will be a slight delay but at least it works.

Mark
Nullen_Void

Post by Nullen_Void »

kilowatt
What was the version of HB that worked? I may try to sub in the w800.dll version that worked for you into HB3.30 to see if that fixes my issue.

Running tasks to get the RF to work will have a very low WAF due to the 2-3 second delay.
Looks like the RR501 is going to get put back into service.

WAF = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woman_acceptance_factor
If momma aint happy, aint nobody happy
kilowatt

Post by kilowatt »

I probably last tested it around version 3.00.01 which was released just after the restrict notification was added. I suspect there are changes besides the w800.dll that are causing it to act differently now. Perhaps Scott will add some details when he gets a chance.

I understand the WAF thing. Sometimes it is the most challenging part of this home automation stuff.

Mark
kilowatt

Post by kilowatt »

I went back and did some testing on previous versions of housebot. This behavior changed with the release of version 3.02. That is when the 'Received Composite Property' was added to the X10 Controller Device. With the start of this release received X10 commands are reflected in the housebot devices but are not repeated out the other Hardware Interfaces without using a task. Also starting with version 3.02 when the Composite Property of a X10 Controller Device is set, the command is sent out the hardware interface but not reflected in the matching housebot devices.

Version 3.01 exhibits the previous behavior where received X10 Commands are repeated out the other hardware interfaces unless the restrict notification is set in the receiving X10 hardware interface.

In both cases the restrict notifications flag controls if a X10 command received on a X10 hardware interface is relayed to the devices linked to the other X10 hardware interfaces.

Mark
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I realize it's confusing to get this setup right. Here's a little more info in response to Marks post.
Scott
Nullen_Void

Post by Nullen_Void »

Mark & Scott

thanks for your help.

Mark, I copied your setup, but to make it work I had to change the task just a little.

If ('Controllers\W800RF32A.Received Composite Property' is Not Equal "") Then
Change 'Controllers\CM11A.Composite Property' to '%%W800RF32A.Received Composite Property%%'

The only remaining issue is that All lights off does not work.

Character Received [0x60]
Character Received [0x9f]
Character Received [0x80]
Character Received [0x7f]
W800 received raw data [60 9f 80 7f].
W800 has received an invalid unitcode value [0x7f]
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Nullen_Void wrote:The only remaining issue is that All lights off does not work.
Unfortunately the plugin doesn't recognize all lights off. It's really strange that that command was completely omitted.
Scott