HB Server crashing repeatedly

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

HB Server crashing repeatedly

Post by Steve Horn »

HBServer is stopping at least once a day. Is there any way to trace the cause? Just started recently - within the last few weeks... maybe since the latest update/release but I really cannot be sure. To my knowledge, no other changes to the environment. Running Win10 and HB 3.53.03.
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Re: HB Server crashing repeatedly

Post by ScottBot »

Steve,

See if anything new has been installed by sorting on installed date from the Windows control panel "uninstall a program" app. Maybe something got inadvertently installed that is causing the problem.

Are there any dump files being generated?

Record the times of the crash and see if there is any correlation to events happening in HouseBot that might help to narrow the issue down. I run a batch file that records the times and restarts HouseBot. Something like:

Code: Select all

Echo off
set PATH=C:\Program Files\HouseBot\Plugins\Interfaces\DLLs;%PATH%
:Start
Echo Server has Started At: %Date% %Time%
"C:\Program Files\HouseBot\HouseBotServer.exe"
Echo Server has Terminated At: %Date% %Time%
goto Start
Scott
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Thanks; will check it out. In the meantime, I found several utilities that will monitor a program and restart it if it crashes. Probably not a bad idea even when HB runs without issues.
Steve
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

* Crashes are not creating dump files.

* Need to check new/added programs...

*Did discover (i.e. stumble upon) that when attempting to select/edit any of several themes - selection of which seems unimportant - that HBserver will crash. Have no clue what that would have to do with anything, because the crashes have occurred when i wasn't doing anything in HBserver, i.e. sometimes in the middle of the night.

FWIW... :?
Steve
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

It seems that a Microsoft Security update on 10/14 may have been the culprit. I uninstalled one of the 3 installs done on 10/14 and the HBserver has not crashed since. And this is without the aid of any utilities that restart crashed programs. So, I’m cautiously optimistic. Note to self: If HB begins to act up/crash, make a note of the date it started and look for any programs that were installed without my knowledge just prior to that date.
(I Also disabled the Windows Update process that does so without my knowledge or advance warning. Took a little digging to find out how to set the option to warn/alert me first, so that I actually have control like I used to.)
Thanks Scott.
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Steve,

Glad to hear it's working for you so far.

Is this on Windows 10? Do you know the security update number? I see that KB4577671 installed for me on the 15th and I haven't had an issue with it so far. If you can verify the update number, I can try and look into it more.
Scott