JScript as a new(ish) feature exploration

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
TonyG

JScript as a new(ish) feature exploration

Post by TonyG »

"JScript as a language option for the Script Device and all HouseBot scripting"

Hi Scott, before I start exploring JScript in Housebot, I would be interested in learning what you had in mind when you released this?
  • Does it offer new functionality or is it "just" an option alongside VB?
    Could this extend UI functionality, such as menus / animation / etc?
    Any examples for Script Device or "all Housebot Scripting"?
I've got a few VB scripts in use that parse incoming serial messages, but would love to know a little more!
ScottBot
Site Admin

Re: JScript as a new(ish) feature exploration

Post by ScottBot »

Well... assuming that I had anything in mind is giving me too much credit. The reality is that the Microsoft script extensions OLE support that I was using for the VBScripting also included support for this older version of jScript. So it was an easy feature for me to add in the plugin, since the underlying support was already there.

I've not really used it much other than to test that the calls back into HouseBot from a script worked correctly. I saw it as an alternative coding style that would achieve the same functionality.

From what I could tell, the support is fairly limited to just basic flow and data manipulation. I don't think you can play with the DOM like standard JavaScript (please tell me if I'm wrong).
Scott
TonyG

Re: JScript as a new(ish) feature exploration

Post by TonyG »

Thanks Scott,

Always good to have the facts...

First item on my list is an RSS news feed that also extracts images to display alongside the article.