Standalone Automation controller?

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Standalone Automation controller?

Post by Steve Horn »

I have an automation application that controls lighting at a small community center. Currently (no pun intended) its using X10 wall switch modules and a CP290 X10 controller, all ancient. Its been reasonably reliable (its X10 after all) until recently. But now I suspect the CP290 has expired. I'm looking to replace the functionality, either using the existing X10 PLC modules or replace with later technology. But the site offers no internet, no LAN, no nothing, except electricity. so PLC is the only way. The CP290 programming software is also ancient and will not run on a Win later-than-XP box. (Although there is a DOS version that will run in a DOS box under Windows.)
After a non-thorough think, I've come up with several alternatives:
1) replace the CP290 with another, off ebay, and continue as-is, programming via DOS box
2) replace CP290 with older XP notebook and external X10 PLC interface
3) replace CP290 with Arduino w/RTC, and X10 PLC serial interface build new programming in Arduino
4) replace all wall switch modules with "dumb" timers w/ built in RTCs
5) Some other (economical) standalone controller and compatible wall switch module remotes using PLC
Any ideas?
Steve
Jessiryan

Re: Standalone Automation controller?

Post by Jessiryan »

So, you have written that there is no wifi, no lan, no nothing then how the application controls lighting at a small community center. Is that worked over PLC properly.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Considering X10’s Send-and-pray reliability, 75-80% effective. But its a harsh electrical environment. Swimming pool pump motor, AC compressor and fan. And dealing with wall switches on each power line phase.
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Depending on the environment and number of switches, Z-Wave might work. However, it may not meet your economical criteria, since you would need to replace the X-10 devices.
Scott
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Tentatively decided to stay with X10 and put together an Arduino UNO w/external RTC and X10 PSC-05 power line interface, which I already have. The rest is software. Should prove “interesting”, considering my Arduino C++ is rusty, one needs to set the RTC, then get date and time, and account for sunrise and sunset before turning anything on and off.
(Obviously, all of this is outside the scope of HB, but I thought I’d see if anyone knew of a solution.)
Steve