If you had to start over...

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
TonyG

If you had to start over...

Post by TonyG »

Dear HB experts,

I've been using Housebot in my campervan for the last 7 years, and now it's time to build a second server for the home. I'm quite excited about this as I shall be basing my solution on something I'm familiar with (HB), and feel "now is the time" with regards the availability of Home Automation devices.

As this is a greenfield plan without any legacy/incumbent devices installed, I'm looking to use the latest and hopefully non-proprietary devices and protocols.

So, if you all had to start from scratch:
  • What would your general approach be in terms of protocols and hierarchy?
  • What functional devices would you retain, and which would you drop? Which would you consider essential? (security devices, HVAC, lighting, information services, etc)
  • Would you use wireless exclusively, or still rely on Ethernet for more critical use?
  • What's in your "non-essential but sexy" closet? Those solutions that make it interesting/pioneering/fun... (and what are your favourite sequences: if this and this happen, do this..)
  • Where would you locate your housebot server? Anywhere you wouldn't?
  • Would you run your servers with a local (touchscreen) remote client? (as a master)
  • What remote client would you choose today?
  • Any other considerations?
These are just a few questions to get the ball rolling.

Your view on any of the above would be interesting and very useful.
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Re: If you had to start over...

Post by Richard Naninck »

1. What would your general approach be in terms of protocols and hierarchy?
HouseBot + ZWave

2. What functional devices would you retain? Which would you consider essential? (security devices, HVAC, lighting, information services, etc)
Camera system, Doorbell, HVAC, Alarm, Lighting, Curtains, Locks, Multiroom AV Control, Geofencing, Voice Control (Alexa, Siri, Google), etc

3. Would you use wireless exclusively, or still rely on Ethernet for more critical use?
A combination. AV, Camera's and Alarm needs to be wired but all ZWave devices would be wireless

4. Where would you locate your housebot server? Anywhere you wouldn't?
In my office because that is where all the development would be going on

5. Would you run your servers with a local (touchscreen) remote client? (as a master)
A matrixed local touchscreen system throughout the house combined with remote (VNC or Android) clients for on the go

Much like it is now in my current setup :D
TonyG

Post by TonyG »

Thanks Richard for sharing your experience and advice. I had been considering using the latest generic wifi based HA devices that have come onto the market, having dismissed ZWave as an expensive, out-dated, and proprietary standard (more of a gut-feel than knowledge based perception). Since reading your post, I can see ZWave offers a mesh network on lower frequencies away from overcrowded wifi. I also see it offers some advantage in its security, which open opens up additional possibilities in extending my plans to the provision of home security - overall then; a standard well aligned to it's IoT brief. I shall get my hands on a ZWave compatible device and hub for some further exploration.

I would be interested in knowing more about your matrixed touchscreens and VNC - make/model/deployment, and the benefits over using something like android tablets? I'm guessing it offers the best "fidelity" in terms of screen UI design (fonts spring to mind)?

It looks like you have a great setup. Thanks again for sharing your experience.
TonyG

Post by TonyG »

Richard, one more question: How do you display security camera video on your touchscreens? So far, I haven't seen a way to display a video stream directly within a Housebot panel using say DirectShow.
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

Security cams are one of the reasons why I use a VGA matrix. My NVR has a VGA output which is input to the 8x8 matrix. All my touchscreens and tv's are connected to the matrix and the matrix is controlled by housebot. So if somebody presses the doorbell, I can switch my TV source to VGA and display the correct camera but I can also display the cams on my SWRemote touchscreens. I connected a serial to ps2 to usb mouse interface between housebot and the NVR. Thus I can controll the NVR as well. If the matrix displays the NVR, Windows and therefore HouseBot is still in control of the PC mouse. So I made a huge screenfilling housebot button which I don't see because the camera's are displayed but the button still functions. If the huge button is pressed, I grab the x and y coordinates of the PC mouse and translate those the the NVR mouse. With this trick I can control the NVR mouse through housebot using both housebot and the NVR on the same touchscreen.
Furthermore, there is also always a web interface for an NVR which can be used together with a SWRemote.
Android devices or any other device not connected to my matrix could never to this.
I think my explanation may be a little bit complex :D
TonyG

Post by TonyG »

Hi Richard,

Your explanation was complex, but useful. Thanks for sharing.

Multiple security cameras, and the incorporation of video streams (in general and not directed at Housebot) does appear to be a challenge and I can see the attractions of keeping with something that works reliably.

I will start with a single camera, and will investigate a way to display the stream natively using directshow within a Housebot panel.