UI scrolling menu - any tips?

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
TonyG

UI scrolling menu - any tips?

Post by TonyG »

Dear All,

I'm trying to find a way to create a scrollable menu / options list on a panel.
  • Menu/Options list essentially a list or sub-group of buttons calling tasks
    Controlled by an IR remote / Cursor Keys / External Command (HTTP would be ideal for my requirement).
    Commands: Up / Down /Select / Exit
    Up / Down sees each menu item highlighted
    Select sees the menu item (task) instigated
    Exit would close the menu list (if a pop-up panel)
I've tried a few ways to achieve this using directory lists, alpha list, even property sliders next to static labels. Nothing works simply or particularly well.

I may be describing a new feature? Maybe a new Panel Button with multiple sub-buttons (linked to tasks), including sub-button image and highlight image, spacing between sub-button, as well as control method (IR / External Command) options.

I'm always fearful I'm missing the obvious, but if so I would love to know...
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Re: UI scrolling menu - any tips?

Post by Richard Naninck »

Did you take a look at the Configuration Panel option "Enable Control Focus Management". Maybe that could be a solution to your request.
Furthermore an Alphalist should be able to do what you want it to do but it requires some vbscript programming.
TonyG

Re: UI scrolling menu - any tips?

Post by TonyG »

Thanks Richard,

It looks like some further work on alpha lists is required, and I'll look at this at the weekend.

Essentially, I'm trying to create a "10-foot interface", where we can 1) view the status of all things automated, but 2) also control them using a simple (think 6-button) remote.

I wonder if anyone has a Housebot remote working on their main super-size TV with this type of functionality - compared with small touch-UI based tablets?

Playing around with new requirements does remind me of how well Housebot is constructed - as another example, I've just had "instant success" with the new MQTT plugin. MQTT device is a Teltonika RUT955 LTE router, which has built in broker and publisher functionality. Housebot now displays mobile carrier, signal strength, 2G/3G/4G, temperature, etc. Took less than an hour from scratch.