Upgrade to 3.50.01 issue with USBUIRT

Having problems? Maybe others have had the same problem too. Post HouseBot technical issues here.
incoronado

Upgrade to 3.50.01 issue with USBUIRT

Post by incoronado »

I upgraded to HB 3.50.01 and my USBUIRT is no longer sending or receiving.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (16.05 KiB) Viewed 9590 times
incoronado

Re: Upgrade to 3.50.01 issue with USBUIRT

Post by incoronado »

Another related, or unrelated symptom...

Clicking on enable or disable a serial or USBUIRT device causes the spinning wheel of death.
incoronado

Post by incoronado »

I had to revert back to previous version. I'm finally working again. I noticed that 3.50.01 was running at about 50% utilization. I'm back to under 10% on version 3.45.

FYI. I'm running on Windows 7.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

I'm experiencing the same thing here. The HB server has become a sloth. Most of my issues are also with USBUIRT-related tasks that either don't kick off, kick off after 30-60 seconds or don't complete once they do. Have not experienced other I/O (RS232, Insteon..) issues, or at least have not noticed them to be as bad. And lots of hard drive clattering (I/O).. And yet other times, the IR response time is normal. I will hang in with 3.50.1 but reserve the right to revert to the previous (MS Access) version.
edit: Win7 here too.
Whole lotta I/O, I'm thinkin...
3.50.1 perf.png
3.50.1 perf.png (14.2 KiB) Viewed 9580 times
edit:
And watching the CONFIG folder, the HBdata.db-journal file is being read or written to.. but size has not changed. Lotta chattering every second or so.
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

The new SQLite database uses a journal file to better ensure the integrity of the database in the off chance that the system crashes or loses power during a database update. The downside side of this is that there is more file activity if you have an active system.

If you have a Device Property that changes often (like every second or more), you should look at whether it is necessary for that value to be persisted to the database. Usually if it's changing often, it doesn't make sense to store it to the database. To prevent the Property Value from updating the database when changed, uncheck the 'Persist Between Restarts' checkbox on the property value settings.

For the USB UIRT issue, I'm not sure where to start since it doesn't actually crash and create a dump file. There shouldn't have been anything USB related regarding the database change, and I'm also running a USB UIRT in my home with the new DB. Are your UIRTs very active (like receiving IR every second)?
Scott
incoronado

Post by incoronado »

My UIRT isn't that active. I have a task that fires a script when it receives an IR command, but never fires because it never gets an IR command. There is nothing showing in history on IR receive.

Of course I know the USBUIRT works because I reverted back and it works again.

I did notice the journal file being changed very frequently. The 50% utilization is probably causing the sluggish behavior when enabling or disabling devices. It may be just CPU bound, or stuck in another event, and unable to process any new device requests.

This might be a problem with the way I trigger tasks. I use statements like If property not equal to "DFSAFD%^&*" (random value) so the task triggers on any change. Excuse the pseudo code but I'm not sitting at my HB computer.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

My IR activity relies on the USBUIRT to transmit - flash- to operate the sat box, LED light string, TV, Roku,etc. All output based on tasks triggering typically from HB remote buttons or occasional time of day events. Certainly not frequent. So, like incoronado said, it could be just a victim of CPU load.
Will try the latest exe version and report back.

Edit:
Initial observation: after changing a System Time to time-without-seconds on one panel and installing 3.50.02 i noticed much less hard drive clattering. But time will tell... (Pun intended) :D
Steve
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

After an hour or so of testing/playing, no delays or sluggishness in IR was experienced. This is with the 3.50.02 EXE and one change I made to change a 'System Time' to 'Time-without-seconds' display on one panel of a theme. Hard drive activity is better and HBServer CPU usage is lower. I have one or two other issues that I need to investigate: a non responsive RS232 device and failure of Winamp to kick off when fed a URL string. Both cropped up after 3.50, but I have not had a chance to investigate yet.
Steve