Pissed as h*ll

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
contraptionmaker

Pissed as h*ll

Post by contraptionmaker »

Just updated to the newest release and now NOTHING works! Had a perfectly working system until updating. Now software remotes won't hook up, yes I updated them, interface shows up but controls nothing! Can't even control through main interface.
After update on my server software remotes would not open. Unable to logon Software Remote API version 7. Server only accepts version 8.
Try to find documentation on how to update API! Like the rest of the documentation of this software it is nonexistent! Right now I am feeling like I threw my 80 bucks right out the window. If I have to redo everything every time there is an update, what the use? Sure the forums help but unless you have the exact same problem they aren't much use.
This is a great piece of software when it works. Needs lots more documentation. For example housebot.com shows all these really cool software remotes but absolutely nothing on how to set one up.
Well that's my rant, thanks for reading.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Re: Pissed as h*ll

Post by ScottBot »

A few questions for you.
...interface shows up but controls nothing! Can't even control through main interface.
Do you mean that you can't control anything from the main HouseBot interface, or from a software remote?
Unable to logon Software Remote API version 7. Server only accepts version 8.
Which OS and version are the software remotes that won't connect?
Does the 'Local Software Remote' run from the HouseBot machine?
Right now I am feeling like I threw my 80 bucks right out the window
If you want a refund, PM me your registration information.
Scott
TonyG

Post by TonyG »

Like the rest of the documentation of this software it is nonexistent!
I'm not in any mood for conflict, and I'm nothing more than a fee paying customer myself, but I would question the usefulness of writing a post like yours - in the style chosen. Your contribution to this community for example, starts with a very ill-considered title.

Without going too off topic, I think we have expectations set by many consumer devices such as the iPhone. An iPhone X will be a great device, with a well tested UX I'm sure (you'll even get a very useful and premium white box) - yours for $999. Hopefully you understand what I'm sharing in terms of relativity.

The documentation for Housebot is there, and it is in the main very well detailed.

This is in my experience, a forum for well natured hobbyists, who are prepared to take on a bit of discovery work themselves. It takes a bit more effort, sure, but you are often rewarded with a deeper sense of understanding of what you're using.

Housebot: "Home Automation for the Automation Enthusiast".

Just my view...
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

Plus 1 with Tony. Sure a rant now and than is OK, but rant on POST 1 is something I have never seen before. Probably a refund would be best for you! This forum, while not very active, contains some people that are always willing and able to help and as far as I know have come up with a 100% solution to questions or problems being posted in the past. So your comments are pretty bold statements :x I didn't even want to reply to this forum post but I simply had to and provided my first flame ever. Sad

That said, if you have a backup of at least the database, nothing from your setup should be really lost and so nothing should have to be redone. All devices live in this dbase and the remotes live in the theme.xml file and creating a backup should be common practise.

If you are able to recover from your first rant than I am sure the people on this form, especially Scott himself will figure out what is wrong.
yaccri
HouseBot Special Member

Post by yaccri »

Did you update the Software Remote on the PCs you're trying to connect from?
SWRemote would connect after being updated.
contraptionmaker

Post by contraptionmaker »

I am sorry to all I offended. I will try to defend myself though. I have been happy with HB up until the last update. It all did quit working after the update and I had to go back and delete everything and start over to get it working again. It is all working now but I should not have to do this for an update. As far as the documentation goes, a forum is not documentation. Documentation has a table of context, descriptions and examples of how to make things work. A forum is a jumble of ideas that may have worked for you. There should be a basic set of instructions, then if you need more help you head to forums. I am sure some of won't agree but this is just my definition documentation. I intend to keep using HB as I do think it is a good piece of software, I have been happy with it, and I have managed to figure out a lot on my own. I again apologize to anyone I hurt or offended, was just really upset about my setup not working.