Windows 10 Kinect housebot voice recognition

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
boyakaa

Windows 10 Kinect housebot voice recognition

Post by boyakaa »

Hello,

I have a question. I have a brand new windows 10 install, running Housebot latest version 3.3.1 on trial license with a Kinect USB microphone array. The Kinect device is functional and It registers spoken words with speech recognition on Windows.

However, the HouseBot application does not respond to spoken commands even though I can see that the words register correctly within the Microphone popup, that is part of the Windows 10 native speech recognition software.

Any chance of being able to use this Microphone, it works extremely well.

This is a fresh install of Windows 10
Voice Recognition on HouseBot is installed
Kinect for windows drivers V1.8
Kinect for Windows Runtime v1.8
Kinect for windows speech recognition Language Pack (en-US)

Regards,
Boyakaa
boyakaa

Re: Windows 10 Kinect housebot voice recognition

Post by boyakaa »

one more thing, the language file has been added to the configuration.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I just tested it with my mic on Windows 10 and it seems to work fine.

I'm assuming you have a good grammer file loaded. The default HBGrammar.xml should be in the \HouseBot\Plugins\Devices\VoiceRecognition directory. Make sure you keep the same format as that file.

I don't think the type of mic would make a difference as long as Windows can hear it.

Also, double-check to make sure the Voice Recognition device is enabled.
Scott
boyakaa

Post by boyakaa »

O.k. so I have been testing the voice recognition and at best its not reliable in my setup. I am not able to modify the HBgrammar file. Once the voice recognition option is installed, I keep getting error access denied. When I try to add voice commands to the file. If I try to change the default HBgrammar file to say, HBgrammar2.xml the program throughs an invalid directory error.

This install is not an upgrade but a new install of the latest Housebot 3.31.

When I change the permissions on the file to be able to modify its content. It then breaks the voice recognition part and it stops working. I can see that the words are registering within the phrase location on the mic setup in Housebot. but no speech is heard from Housebot.

By the way on a new install on windows 10 you still need to install the "SpeechSDK51" or Housebot will through errors in the log. and you also need to install the Kinect runtime for windows "KinectRuntime-v2.0_1409-Setup" to recognize the Xbox Microphone array.

Why is the file throwing access denied errors?

I am logged on to Windows 10 as a user ( not admin)
I have not enabled the Admin account on this new install of Windows 10

Yes, I would enjoy being able to integrate HouseBot with the Insteon Hub. The App that Windows 10 is providing is not as open as Housebot. One of the things I enjoy about Housebot is its VBscript possibilities, which opens the door for personalized voice response action files. This is something that Cortana would need to be operated on to support.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Try moving the grammer file outside of the Program Files directory and loading/editing it from there.
Scott
boyakaa

Post by boyakaa »

HI,

I restarted the box shutdown voice recognition and Housebot was not started, I copied the file from the default directory to the c drive ( root) pasted the file i was asked for administrator top with privileges to continue then I started Housebot. I did not get the path error. But I could not save any changes. It gave an error access denied.

I created a dir in c:\ called it "VC" pasted the HBgrammar file in that directory restarted the box and started housebot. I was then able to change the file content without error.

The voice recognition is capturing the voice commands within the phrase section but I still am not getting the audible VB script response.

By the way I would really enjoy using this software, as I find it to be solid with its control of insteon devices..Hopefully we can work out the voice part.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Hmm. I have my user permissions set pretty low on my Windows 10 machine, so I'm probably not seeing the same errors. I guess the safest place to put the file would be in the \Program Data directory. There should be no issue with permissions with files under that directory.

I use a notepad replacement called NotePad++. One nice thing I've noticed about using Notepadd++ with Windows 10 is that if it can't write to a file because of permissions, it will prompt you to restart it in 'run as admin' mode.
Scott
boyakaa

Post by boyakaa »

Do you have any idea why the voice recognition would stop working, If you change the phrase it should listen for?

I'm not a programmer, but it appears to be a break in housebot when any change is made within the speech file itself, or a setting change within the phrase it should listen for.

Are you testing on a clean install with the latest code or an upgraded version?

thanks for the Notepad ++ tip i have used that before but ill donwload and use going forward for this project.
boyakaa

Post by boyakaa »

O.k. re installed the entire thing windows10 pro
Kinect sdk version 1.8
SpeechSDK51
housebot version 3.31

AMD Athlon Neo X2 Dual Core Processor 6850e 1.80GHz
8 GB Ram

nothin else is running on the machine
I am still having really bad performance with housebot and voice recognition. its really unstable..Don't know what else to do.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

When you modify the grammar file, the HouseBot plugin will reload it so the changes will be immediately effective.

I've just tested this with Windows 10 (Loading the grammar XML file from the Program Data\HouseBot directory) and it does work most of the time. However, I DO sometimes see odd behavior where the windows speech recognition goes offline and won't respond after a change. But after re-enabling the device and speech app it seems to respond as expected.
Scott
boyakaa

Post by boyakaa »

Hi Scott,

I moved the file to the same directory you mentioned, restarted the box and services and no response from housebot. Sorry still no response from my end when commands that are in the grammar file are spoken.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

hmm. strange. You might want to try with a direct connection with a mic to see if it's something related to the kinect
Scott
boyakaa

Post by boyakaa »

Hi Scott,

I think we are getting closer. i am getting response from voice recognition by moving the grammar file to the program data\directory\
folder. Here is what i am seeing now.

If i call on standard conversation meaning calling simple speech files it works (Actually pretty funny to talk to computer). But when i try to call a file that has actions with system related requests like asking it for the time. I get crickets (no response).

any thoughts?
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Not sure on that one. I also noticed that sometimes when I spoke a number, Windows would do some odd highlighting trick. I wonder if there's a place somewhere to turn off the system level interactions.
Scott