Version 3.30.03 and new Android Software Remote

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Re: Version 3.30.03 and new Android Software Remote

Post by Steve Horn »

Ok, a sort of closure on my wifi connectivity issue - dropping the wifi link while in the android remote. Solved by installing a much "hotter" wifi access point. Now, the tablet either remains connected or reconnects quickly upon wake up. :D The android SWRemote is awesome.

However... I never got a response as to what are the OS requirement for the android SWRemote. Reason I ask is that I want to install the app on my long-in-tooth smart phone (Samsung Galaxy S2, with Android 2.3.6) but cannot even find it listed in the Play Store using the phones play store app. Is the phone/OS too old?
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Steve,

Great news on fixing your wifi issue.

The minimum version is 3.0 (honeycomb). Sorry, but that's the version line where installs are very low (< 5%), and I didn't want to have my hands tied up on supporting older versions.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 that is running a newer version, so maybe there's an upgrade you can download.
Scott
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

One step further into adding the Android SWRemote to my phone. I was able to upgrade the OS from 2.3.6 to 4.1.2. (That's an hour out of my life I'll never get back.) and downloaded the app. I entered the SWRemote name and IP of the HB server into the setup screen but it just sits there waiting for me to do something. I don't recall that happening when I installed it on the tablet.
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Is the startup list still showing on the remote? If so, what's it doing? Or does it never make it to the startup screen?

If you can run a 'Client' trace and send me the info, that might shed some light (Settings / Tracing / 'Client and client socket').
Scott
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

It opens the startup screen, I enter the remote name ("Android") and the HBServer IP (192.168.1.120), click "done" in the keypad. The cursor remains in the IP address field and nothing else happens.

Can't seem to attach a txt or CSV file in this forum software :x . Will attempt a separate email. File is lengthy but with a lot of repeated messages.
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Steve,

I received the trace. What is the IP address of the android remote?
Scott
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Now it's 192.168.1.14. But yesterday, when the trace was made, likely different since its been gone and back several times since. Guess I need to rerun the trace based on the current IP... Will forward another trace along with the current IP.
Steve
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

I stumbled into another anomaly between the classic swremote and the android version. A list box that is in my version of the incoronado/Naninck jukebox that lists the song queue... If I clear the song queue and reload it with whatever, and hit play, the player plays the last song in the queue that was just cleared. Once that song has played, the first song in the new queue plays as it should. I've verified that emptying/clearing the queue does leave it with an empty list. That does not happen using a swremote running on a windows box. Same theme. Can anyone else confirm this behavior?
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Steve,

I can verify that the Android remote isn't clearing (or auto-selecting) the clicked property when the list is updated. I'll have that fixed in the next Android update.
Scott
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Actually... I thought I reproduced it. Now it seems to be working fine for me.

What player device are you using and how are you storing the value of the selected item in the list?
Scott
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

NVM... I found it again.
Scott
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Glad you can duplicate it. Because I'd have to dig into the code, which is mostly not mine, to find the answer. The player is Winamp though. But the key - to me anyway - was that the same code acted differently between legacy and android SR's.
Steve
incoronado

Post by incoronado »

The fonts in the list control are very crammed together. Is there a way to change the height of elements in the list control. I tried making the selection bar image height larger thinking it would increase the margins, but that seemed to have no effect.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Can you send me a screen shot and/or let me know the font name and height you are using?
Scott
micknemo

Post by micknemo »

Hi Scott. I was genuinely thrilled to discover a new version of Housebot with Android support. Problem is that whenever I download the software from the website, Kaspersky Anti-Virus tells me that several Trojans are embedded. I found that hard to believe so I - stupidly - disabled the Anti-Virus and proceeded with the install and all hell broke loose (I was able to restore my PC to an earlier version so its; stable again). Do you have a mirror site available for downloading or have you heard of this issue from any other users ?