Voice recognition?

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Voice recognition?

Post by Steve Horn »

I just read an article in Sound&Vision about HA and it's application beyond home theater that mentions a product called Voicepod. The Voicepod device interfaces between a HA system (in their application, Control4) and the end user, providing voice recognition. The Voicepod drivers are add-ones to the control4 processor and programming. The actual Voicepod front end communicates with the Control4 processor via Zigbee. A brief view of several videos and FAQs on the Voicepod site seems to indicate that the Voicepod hardware could work with other HA systems by using a Control4 processor as a bridge. I don't know how feasible, technically or economically, that would be. But it got me wondering if anyone in the HB community had delved into voice recognition as a HB front end.
Steve
markd
Advanced Member

Re: Voice recognition?

Post by markd »

I've been meaning to do some work with Tasker on Android- seeing stuff like this-
http://lifehacker.com/control-your-phon ... -514487972
but I'm so behind..... :-(
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

Looked @ VoicePod about a year ago and it became obsolete after The UBI got introduced and The UBI got obsolete after Smart Watches became main stream.
Capturing voice is very hard to do. Especially with devices like VoicePod. They do seem to work in demo's and close by but I wonder how that holds up in real life. You are constantly talking to the device from a different range and microphones cannot handle that very well. So VoicePod talks about adding more voicepods to close the gap but than money becomes an issue. These things are pretty expensive. The smart watch is something you Always can have with you and you talk to it Always from the same distance making interferance to lesser concern.
Not long ago I installed HouseBots own Voice Control in my home theater and it works remarkably well but I had to buy a good mic and a good external USB soundcard plus some Windows hacking to make this all work.
So in short: HouseBot can alreay do what VoicePod is supposed to do and waiting just a bit longer until smart watches really are mainstream, can do wonders. I myself am waiting for the first Windows watch. I just finished my ow Windows Phone HouseBot app and voicecontrol is already part of it. However talking to your Phone is a bit silly but talking to a watch will probably be OK :D
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

I stumbled upon your earlier thread on your experiences with voice recognition.... after I had posted about Voicepod. I can see where your HB-driven app would work in one room, I.e. home theatre. But to do that house-wide becomes more cumbersome and expensive. Multiple mikes, mixers or preamps just to get the voice to the HB server. (Or we could just SHOUT! "COMPUTER?..."). Much earlier I thought about using the landline phones (remember them? I have several scattered about the house.) Pick it up, press a # to break dial tone, then speak your command. Using your sound card method and some form of interface between the phone line and the card's high level input would probably do it. Personally, I'd prefer that route, as I'm not a watch wearer. May pursue that... someday.
Steve
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

I looked at the XAP 800 to wire my complete house but it simply is old school stuff now. I knew nothing about microphones before my HB Voice Control adventure and I can tell you that it could very well be a four year study to mater all of the aspects :wink:
There are so many microphones and none of them can do what human ears can.
I got touchscreen around the house which take care of just about everything. Voice is a nice gimick but I still cannot talk my own language because Dutch seems to be difficult to make a standard. I had hoped that Windows introduced Dutch voices together with the Xbox one, but still no luck. The voice control of the Xbox One is very nice and how it should be. It noise cancels its own output so with even very loud outputted sound, the xbox can hear you.
A watch can also Always hear you because the mic will only be a few inches away.
Hopefully this new Android remote will blow some new light into HouseBot so smart watches can be the next thing.
yaccri
HouseBot Special Member

Post by yaccri »

To control HB by voice from an Android device, you can use Tasker+AutoVoice+EventGhost.
This video (in Hebrew) demonstrates HB voice control of lights and shutters, radio, home cinema system and A/C.
http://youtu.be/8wnOxni6rDU
Dreamin

Post by Dreamin »

yaccri wrote:To control HB by voice from an Android device, you can make the most out of PhenQ and use Tasker+AutoVoice+EventGhost.
This video (in Hebrew) demonstrates HB voice control of lights and shutters, radio, home cinema system and A/C.
Are there any English videos on how to do this?
Last edited by Dreamin on Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:22 am, edited 5 times in total.
yaccri
HouseBot Special Member

Post by yaccri »

Sorry, no.
It uses Tasker + AutoVoice on the Android machine, and EventGhost on the PC.
If I do the process again in the future, I'll write a tutorial.
Sharoun

Post by Sharoun »

Dreamin wrote:
yaccri wrote:To control HB by voice from an Android device, you can use Tasker+AutoVoice+EventGhost.
Are there any English videos on how to do this?
THIS http://youtu.be/8wnOxni6rDU[/quote] LINK is not open in my cell can you help me
I bought my adele weight loss from http://adeleweightloss.com/
yaccri
HouseBot Special Member

Post by yaccri »

I suggest that you try with a PC
autogeorge

Post by autogeorge »

Is there any way to try it on Android?
To want to, is to be able to.