System ported to W7 64bit

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Re: System ported to W7 64bit

Post by Richard Naninck »

yes and don't forget the dll part I wrote in the first post
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

Steve Horn wrote:Anyway, after HB says it cannot open that file Win7 launches a dialogue box saying Automation server has stopped. And it does.
After a bunch of messing around yesterday, I got my server running just fine (albeit with a few hardware devices that are no longer supported). Today I rebooted the PC though and when I try to start HB again I get the same "Automation Server has stopped working" error.

Curiously, even though the UI is no longer accessible, HB is still running, tasks are executing and SW remotes work just fine. Can you tell me what you did to fix this?

Coincidentally, I also have an error message trying to open a mysterious csv log file, but I've had that error for a LONG time and just ignored it. It never caused any issues. In my case though I just checked and the file doesn't actually exist. I just need to figure out where in the database to remove the reference.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

I don't recall what I did to resolve that problem. :oops: I had several hardware interface issues. Once I got them sorted, the HB server started "normally". I still have to kill a bunch of messages during the startup that deal with the Velleman k8055 device that HB can no longer communicate with, but tasks and stuff are still in place for.
Steve
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

Ok - I'll just keep poking at it. I have a few hardware interfaces that don't have 64-bit drivers (so I've just disabled them) but all the other interfaces seem to be working correctly, I also found out that actually the HB UI continues to run so I'm not sure exactly what is failing when I get the "Automation Server" error. I guess I'll just have to whittle away at the issues and see what happens.

One thing I know for sure I need to fix is that on startup I get complaints about a missing device. I'm pretty sure it's something I haven't used for a LONG time and I just want to delete it. It's been a long time since I looked directly at the database though and I don't know which table(s) I need to remove it from though. Do you?
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Start in the devices table and look for the device you want to delete. Note the device ID, then delete that row. Then the other tables (devicepropertyview, propertyvaluecommandmap, propertyvalueIRmap, propertyvaluewinmsgmap, tasklist, testconditions) may have entries for that device. Delete them where you find them. Oh, and back up the database before you start cleaning house...bot.
Steve
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

Thanks Steve! :D Yep - good backups are something I always do before mucking around. HB is too important for me to mess it up. :wink:
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

That took care of the issue - thanks Steve. Now I just need to remove the reference to the missing CSV file and I think there are no more errors. Off to go table hunting...
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

I've done a bunch of looking and the only tables I can find that seem to be related are the three Trace tables. It seems like the TraceFileName column in the TraceSections table should be the appropriate place to look, and I do see a reference in there to CallerID (which is the CSV in question).

What I can't figure out though is why there is a reference to a specific monthly file (Dec 2008) or how to fix it. This is the error line in question:

Code: Select all

"10/15/2012","5:19:39 pm","Log to List Test","Error","Error opening log file C:\Program Files\Meedio\Meedio HouseBot\Logs\Caller ID.Monthly.Dec 2008.csv.  Error = The system cannot find the file specified. 
I don't know what "Log to List Test" is referring to, but I suspect that's part of the puzzle. Can you guys offer any assistance?
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

I figured this out. I had forgotten, but there is a device type called "Log File to Alpha List" and at one point in time I had created a device to try it out.

One of the properties is "Path and Name of Log File" and this was pointing to the missing CSV file. I long ago wrote a VBscript to do what I was wanting but never removed the device. All is well now. :D
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Glad you found it. I had something similar, related to tracing. I ended up deleting anything that looked like tracing in the GUI and in the back end. I've never had any luck with tracing, but that just me.
Steve
dlmorgan999
HouseBot Special Member

Post by dlmorgan999 »

Steve Horn wrote:The workaround was, based on my reading, to install .net 3.5 instead of 4. Problem is... (wait for it...) 3.5 won't work on Win7. Won't even install.
In re-reading this again after my other post, I'm guessing the reason it won't install is that it's already included as part of the base OS in Windows 7. Right now, you only need to install .NET 4 if you need it. All older versions are supported out of the box. :D So if you just uninstall .NET 4, it might just work (if it's .NET 4 that's causing the problem).
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

Funny how we go through the same issues.
I too was looking at .Net after installing W7 and found the Windows Program menu where certain stuff could be enabled or disabled. So I started fiddling with .Net 3.5. After I put the checkmark, my whole system started acting strange. Logbooks didn't work anymore etc. After a long time I found that all of that was related to .Net and I had corrupted some config files after enabling certain Windows stuff. After I found that, it was an easy fix because I had made a complete backup of my system right after the install so I could copy the old config files over the corrupted ones and all was working again. This error manifested only in certain area's so I didn't get aware right away. So before starting to install or uninstall standard W7 .Net features, make sure to backup your system to prevent a new install!
Attachments
Naamloos.jpg
Naamloos.jpg (111.06 KiB) Viewed 3357 times