Help required - System Crash when adding XAP.

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Timoh
Advanced Member

Re: Help required - System Crash when adding XAP.

Post by Timoh »

That worked for me too. And I didn't go Doh!

All of HB works without Admin, + the plugin I'm writing doesn't need Admin, so it was reasonable for me to expect it would work without Admin.

I don't get an UAC prompt, but I suspect the how to disable it is lurking on Google somewhere.

Thanks Edward. Back onto the bandwagon with xap... Once my current project wraps up, and I figure what I want to do with xap, + WAF permitting, + baby permitting, + + +

I'll probably end up doing an Arduino xap setup for IO.

Thanks again.
Tim
erspearson

Post by erspearson »

I don't like this aspect but I thought it was (and remains) the 'HouseBot way'. Like to fix it but the last time I spoke to Scott about it
http://cebotics.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 95#p447475
I got the impression that the xAP plugins' behaviour in this area was in keeping with HB.
Any suggestions?
Timoh
Advanced Member

Post by Timoh »

I should clarify "without Admin". With a regular user, I suspect HB will not work as Scott mentioned. In my case, my user ID is a member of the Administrators group. While this gives most of the same privileges as the ID "Administrator", it's not quite the same. This is probably why HB works, but the xap plugin does not. ie: HB only requires the user be a member of the Administrator group, whereas the xapp lugin actually requires you to be the user Administrator.

My plugin reads the database file without any issues. The only trouble I ran into was writing my debug files/log files in the HB folders. I adjusted the permissions and all was solved.

I'm weary of running processes as Administrator. Only suggestion I would have is if the xap plugin can run with a user other than Administrator as long as that user is in the Administrators group.

Tim