Community Feedback Required - webRemote

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Timoh
Advanced Member

Community Feedback Required - webRemote

Post by Timoh »

Hi folks,
Believe it or not, I'm into the final phase of the webremote. The main driver for the webRemote has been for my own selfish needs, with the secondary driver being giving something back to the HB community. The first criteria has been met and the webRemote works well enough for my setup and requirements.

The second requirement, giving something back, is now all up to you guys. The webRemote will *NEVER* function like the native SWRemote. In addition to this, the vast majority of HB users will need to design specific webRemote themes, as standard SWRemote themes might not work as expected.

I am currently building a full comparison list SWRemote vs webRemote, but in advance of that, I need to know how widely the HB community will use the webRemote based on these top 3 limitations...
Controlling a remote with a task will not work. (open panel, close panel, execute, etc)
Controls not supported... Directory List, Alpha List, Software Remote Label
Clicking through transparent images

Things that I want to add in the near future...
Edit box controls
Click'n'Drag Slider controls
Rotary controls
Task Execute Button
Font Formatting (underline, bold, justification)
Colour Adjustment (Just for Richard ;) )
Safari, Chrome, Android browser, Playbook browser, (iPad if I can find a volunteer)

Things that will supported in the very far future...
Ability to embed web content in the remote (ie Youtube, web radio, etc)

Based on all this, I need feedback from YOU on how much the webRemote is worth to YOU and how much you think you will use it.

If there is a lack of interest, things will move slowly, maybe not at all. (except for the couple of you that have helped me out and I've promised features to you. You know who you are.)

Thanks
Tim
edgar

Re: Community Feedback Required - webRemote

Post by edgar »

Hello Timoh,

Firstly let me start by expressing my sincere gratitude for your hard work on the WebRemote. I appreciate it very much! Well Done! If HB is to continue to be a useful tool for folks there must be support for non-windows based devices especially mobile devices. If not then I am afraid HB will be tethered to Windows forever and will struggle. I will throw i a shout out to Scott to ask about the LifeCycle for HB as I think we all would like to know.

I am totally satisfied with the three limitations you have and will tailor my WebRemotes to the limitations. Again I am grateful that we have the WebRemote at all!

How much is the WebRemote worth to me?

If I can get it to become something I can use on my mobile devices routinely it will be invaluable for me! I do not like the remote desktop solution at all. It just looks foreign on my Apple and Android devices. I think we need something that can look like it belongs on iPhone/Android (and maybe even XBMC and Apple TV). I would ask what your initial intent was for the WebRemote and ask if things have changed? In any case, I would pay for a mobile app for HB! I paid for a remote desktop client called splashtop and I am still not happy with it but it will do in the interim. I have also messed around with EventGhost and its mobile app. That is closer but still not there.

I don't know how easily porting the WebRemote to html 5 or to a tight mobile app would be (even if it was a bit limited), but I would be completely in favor of that and I would use it often!

With the coming of low cost linux machines, like Rasberry Pi, I would capitalize on the WebRemote for low cost solutions for clients on my Home network as well.

I hope this helps and I apologize for not providing much in the way of testing feedback. I have been a bit of a test lurker as you mentioned in one of your earlier posts.

Again, my hat is off to you for work well done!

v/r

Kevin
art

Post by art »

A big "thank you" from me also. This is sorely needed for HB to remain viable.

I am OK with the limitations and would be willing to pay for this also.

I did try the earlier version a reported my problems and never got it to work so I look forward to trying it out and reporting back.

One suggestion, you started a new thread for this and I was subscribed to the previous ones and just happened to check into the forum today and found this post. Maybe make a post on the other thread that you started a new thread so that those who don't check in here that often will know about your progress.

Thanks again,

Art
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

First, I want to thank you for the development work you put into this. Its certainly another option that will add to the attractiveness of HB to potential users. To answer your primary question of whether the webremote is useful to ME... probably not. But not because of its functionality limitations (transparency, remote control via tasks, unsupported controls). Rather, my use of HB via remote hardware doesn't lend itself to a browser based solution. I do plan on getting an iPad at some point and will likely use a Remote Desktop app to control HB. But if you're still looking for an iPad guinea pig at that point I'd be happy to assist.
Steve