Is Housebot dead ??? Last release April 2009

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
NW27

Is Housebot dead ??? Last release April 2009

Post by NW27 »

Hi All,

I currently run MisterHouse and I came across this application and was very interested.
Then I looked at the last version of the software and it's 3.30.02 April 27, 2009.
Over 2 years since the last software release.

So I ask the question, is Housebot dead in the water?
Should I spend the time and money on a dead product?

Neil.
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Re: Is Housebot dead ??? Last release April 2009

Post by Richard Naninck »

Some more threads were written on this subject and nothing has changed much since.

HouseBot is and will be a very good choice for a long time to come because it is rocksolid and very flexible. It might lack some plugins for AV equipment, alarm systems or whatever other hardware you may think of, but because of HouseBots setup and integration with vbscript and the generic serial device, all of these mentioned plugins can be built yourself.
Hopefully it remains compatible with new windows versions. The html 5 based swremote Timoh is working on, should make it even more future proof. Platform independant remotes can be built with extra gadgets like graphs, streaming video for webcams etc.

Scott told me that in time he will pick HouseBot up again and update it.
The fact that the last release is two years old, doesn't mean that it's dead. The forum is very much alive, much help can be found here and the software is simply so solid that it doesn't require much updating.
Timoh
Advanced Member

Post by Timoh »

Far from dead... Or at least I would like to think so. The beauty of HouseBot is it is a framework. It can support every device you can through at it, one way or another. There is vbscript processing, plugins, serial controls, generic raw socket reader/writer for IP and http control to delivered with the web swremote.

The difference between HB and others, is the others cost more to support the 990 devices you will never use. Am I going to pay $$$ for interfaces to an alarm panel I don't have?

I find HB a nice middle ground between Mr. House and the multi-hundred dollar solutions.

As Richard mentioned, the swremote I am working on should hopefully renew some interest in HB. The web SW Remote will allow you to design your remote with the existing design tool, and it will run in any modern browser. The other nicety of designing a web swremote is a new way to interact with the HB server.... There will basically be a web services backend for controlling Housebot. Getting values, setting values, starting tasks, changing modes, can all be done with http communication.

Tim
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

A lot of clever folks lurk here. Its my opinion that just about anything you want to do with HB someone here will figure out a way.
Steve
dominicv

Post by dominicv »

You were wondering if Housebot was dead.

The answer is NO, on the other hand this software is not for the beginner.

You will require a certain amount of computer knowledge and expertise otherwise forget it.

This software will not be for you.

Dom
edgar

Post by edgar »

Dom,

I have to respectfully disagree with you on that one. If you only require basic Home Automation capability Housebot is actually very well suited for a beginner. What Home Automation software does not require computer knowledge?

I have been doing HA a very long time and have been through HomeSeer, HAL, EventControlSystem and many others. Housebot is one of the easier and more intuitive programs available. I would say HAL2000 is probably the easiest (but least flexible) but it is also one of the most expensive. What HA apps are you saying are out there are even comparable to Housebot that are easier to use and learn?

Perhaps Housebot needs to go the way of XBMC or other type software, I don't know, but I would not chalk it up as complex for what it advertises it supports. It is actually very well documented and simple to setup and run so long as you are not trying to do what many of us in these forums are trying to make it do.

Again, just my thoughts. I have not heard from Scott in the forums for some time. I think we would all like to hear about what lies ahead for Housebot...but it is not broken and it is one of the easiest HA programs I know of.

v/r

Kevin
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I'd have to say it is just 'resting', not dead. I'm currently involved with another endeavor that is taking 110% of my time.

I agree that there are Software Remote clients that would be nice to see (like iPad and Android). However, the framework is relatively flexible and the community helpful so it should still provide solutions to current automation tasks.
Scott
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

ScottBot wrote:I'd have to say it is just 'resting', not dead. I'm currently involved with another endeavor that is taking 110% of my time....
Nice to hear from you. I had about convinced myself that YOU were dead and Naninck was the only one who knew it. :D
Steve
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Nope... still alive. Wishing I had some time to rest though ;)
Scott
Timoh
Advanced Member

Post by Timoh »

Resting... I like that.

While HB is resting, some amateur coders are pulling their hair out... But it's so worth it!!! I'm enjoying developping the webremote, but it has turned into a beast of it's own, much bigger than I thought. The good news is, no matter what happens with the remote, folks now have a new way to talk to the hbserver via JSON. While right now it's only get values, setting property values and starting/stopping tasks is not that far off.

Next up, probably 2013, on my list of things I wish I never did... Coding an android app and maybe an iphone app. While the current webremote is going to offer the rich experience of a theme, I'm envisioning a much simpler, native app which is simplicity driven without images, themes, panels, etc.

I think we could do a better job of grouping up what we have done and ensuring it get's posted on the site as "features" or "downloads" or "supported devices"... There's a lot out there that we have done and never really publicized. I'm sure when you add up all the creations tucked away in forums, HB is just as capable and alive and kicking as the next guy.

Any app that can tweet that I've exceeded my energy quota for the day, and then turns off my hot water... Is an app far from dead. :D

Tim
dominicv

Post by dominicv »

edgar wrote:Dom,

I have to respectfully disagree with you on that one. If you only require basic Home Automation capability Housebot is actually very well suited for a beginner. What Home Automation software does not require computer knowledge?

I have been doing HA a very long time and have been through HomeSeer, HAL, EventControlSystem and many others. Housebot is one of the easier and more intuitive programs available. I would say HAL2000 is probably the easiest (but least flexible) but it is also one of the most expensive. What HA apps are you saying are out there are even comparable to Housebot that are easier to use and learn?
Kevin,

I have tried to work with this program over and over, if you have small requirements maybe it is easy, but as soon as you want to use timers and read values etc. or have added peripherals that you wish to use, this is where, you wish you would have spent your money on something else.

The only support you get is from the existing members, this software should either be a free software or be put to rest in order to avoid other people from spending money for nothing, you are probably better of with PowerHome or mControl, at least they still have support other than member support.

I can understand that Scott is busy doing other projects which is fine, if that is the case then give the software don't sell it.

Dom
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

dominicv wrote:
edgar wrote:Dom,

Kevin,

I have tried to work with this program over and over, if you have small requirements maybe it is easy, but as soon as you want to use timers and read values etc. or have added peripherals that you wish to use, this is where, you wish you would have spent your money on something else.

The only support you get is from the existing members, this software should either be a free software or be put to rest in order to avoid other people from spending money for nothing, you are probably better of with PowerHome or mControl, at least they still have support other than member support.

I can understand that Scott is busy doing other projects which is fine, if that is the case then give the software don't sell it.

Dom
Dom, from your perspective, what do you suggest would be the most effective way to provide support to the first time user? That is not a facetious question, but one that is meant to get your input so that HB can be improved upon. More thorough help docs for the beginning user, maybe including a starter tutorial on HA the HB way? Since tel. support is not an option, what other "hand-holding" (not meant as a slight) support do you think would help, in addition to this forum? I have to admit its been a while since I've looked at the help docs. They may address these types of questions and I'm just aware of it.
HB's power users point out that the tool is very flexible and can do a lot that the more expensive packages cannot, or not for the same price. But you point out that HB's weakness may be its support for the first time HB or HA user. How can HB improve on that? Specific examples of weakness in the support area would help.
Steve
starfire

Post by starfire »

ScottBot wrote:Nope... still alive. Wishing I had some time to rest though ;)
Just wondered if there are any plans for anything new ?
Housebot running my home automation and security
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

starfire wrote:Just wondered if there are any plans for anything new ?
No change in plans. Probably the first new thing that I would like to find time to work on is an Android or iOS remote. However, that's a fairly large project, and I will need to dedicate more time than I have right now.
Scott
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

ScottBot wrote:...iOS remote.
Yes!!
Steve