To whoever in charge

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
biggrey54

To whoever in charge

Post by biggrey54 »

been downloading some stuff from web site and have had probs:
1 downloaded some config files but housebot want hbx file no hbx file in download only xml files
2 downloaded some skins housebot wants skx file only skn file

love Housebot great package, would have thought this forum would be jumping with help only lookers

please help

Graham
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Re: To whoever in charge

Post by Richard Naninck »

Not exactly sure what you mean but if you download exports from other to impost in your own system, you should get a .hbx file. You could rename that to .zip to see what's in it.

Theme files are in xml and skin files have the .skn extention. That's actually also an xml file but contains skin data for theme design.

So if you downloaded some stuff and you figure that HB want .hbx, then you should probably not import it but put it directly in the directory where it belongs. Just browse the HouseBot directory structure a bit and it speaks for itself.

It's summertime, so probably lots of users are enjoying the sun rather than spending time on this forum. Just give it some time and bump your post to your liking. I deleted the copy of this same post.
biggrey54

Post by biggrey54 »

thanks for your reply so what is a skx file which is what housbot ask for when you try to import a skin and i downloaded the Energy meter from the dowmloads section of the housebot web site and all i got was 3 png files, 2 xml files 1 vb file and 1 bitmap but no hbx.
many thanks
Graham
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

The .skx file is a file that holds all the graphics like buttons, backgrounds, indicators etc plus the actual .skn file. If you download a .skx file and rename it to .zip, you can see the contents of that .skx file.

If you enter the theme editer and goto the 5th menu option "Theme" you can see at the bottom of the menu the option "Import Skin...". This option opens a filerequester and with it you can select you .skx (theme importable) files. This option will than take the .skx file, unzip it, store the graphics in the correct directory and registers the .skn file so that it becomes selectable from your theme editer.

As for the Energy meter, if you are referring to TED (The Energy Detective), I just downloaded it and I got "EnergyMeter.hbx". Goto the 1st menu "File" and select Import Configuration and all should be ok. The xml files hold all the content of where files should be stored and it creates the correct devices. You can do all of this manually as well by renaming to .zip and store the files yourself but then you still have to create the devices. I never import stuff and end up doing it manually afterall because the files usually don't go to the directories I want them to be and I want the devices to be called differently.

Anyways, I hope you understand what the extention skx and hbx mean and how to handle them.
biggrey54

Post by biggrey54 »

many thanks for that i am just about starting to get to know housebot
Graham