Serial Port Expansion VIA PCMCIA card

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
dominicv

Serial Port Expansion VIA PCMCIA card

Post by dominicv »

Good evening Folks,

Has anyone ever used a PCMCIA card in order to add 2 or 4 more RS-232 ports to your computer.

If so, any complications.

Thanks

Dom
Dazed and confused

Re: Serial Port Expansion VIA PCMCIA card

Post by Dazed and confused »

Dom,
I use their PCI equivlent in desk tops without any problems. I've also used USB to RS232 DB9 adaptors without issues, but they can be a little tricky. I can't say I've used PCMCIA cards for I/O but I don't see why that would be a problem other then price. I currently use two dual PCI RS232 DB9 adaptors in two desktop systems without complications. I've been using them for years.

Greg
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

No PCMCIA cards in use here. AM currently using several USB/RS232 dongles but they are problematic. HB and Windows (XP)seem to lose track of the serial port assignments after Windows (apparently) is auto-updated. Never have determined the exact cause. Got tired of rebooting for WInXP to reestablish the port assignments so I bought a 4 port PCI serial card ($50). Have yet to install but that should eliminate the USB/RS232 issues.
Steve
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

2 x PCI card with each 6 RS232
3 x USB -> Serial
1 x PCIe with 4 RS232
1 x PCIe with 8 RS232 ports.
1 x RS232 on the mobo
3 x Virtual com port through the ftd2xx chip for UIRT, RFXCom and FS20
So a total of 28 true ports and 3 virtual with a COM number up to 33 and all with no problems and reboot safe (even the USB ones)

No PCMCIA though
dominicv

Post by dominicv »

Good evening All,

I was wondering about the performance of the PCMCIA RS-232, simply because I am using a laptop.

The USB RS-232 dongle does seem somewhat problematic, the alternative is the PCMCIA route.

Saw some PCMCIA version on e-bay for about $ 30.00 for a 2 x RS-232 ports.

Dom
Richard Naninck

You won't see performance issues because of the low baudrates vs interface bus speeds. RS232 data (even @ 115K) is considered low data rate.
dominicv

Post by dominicv »

Hey Richard,

So I guess the PCMCIA expansion route is the way to go.

I was reading your message, I couldn't beleive the number of RS-232 port you have, I am surprise you don't end up with com. port conflicts after a while.

Dom
Richard Naninck

I guess I would/could have problems when I add more then three USB -> Ser ports. The drivers of maybe even the IRQ seem to conflict. It took me awhile to get the third going without conflict and since I don't accept error in my system I am leaving the USB option again and went ahead to buy true com port extensions on PCIe. I had two slots still avail on my mobo and now I have three com ports spare for future use. But no conflicts whatsoever so if you ever want to go above 30... no problem :wink:
dominicv

Post by dominicv »

Richard,

Originally I figured I would buy a used laptop to take care of HOUSEBOT, since the computer must remain on, a laptop would consume less energy.

Maybe I should have used my PC instead, could have had all kinds of serial ports, Oh Well!!!, what is that old saying " Damn if you do " and " Damn if you don't "

Dom
Richard Naninck

Another saying would be:

Doesn't matter how far you have walked the wrong path. Turn around and go back.... Buy a PC :wink: and configure it so that it doesn't consume too much power..
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Likely cheaper too. Most of us HB users I suspect use a desktop-platform type PC. Don't need a WHOLE lot of horsepower.
Steve
dominicv

Post by dominicv »

I was able to get the laptop for $ 90.00, which is obviously an older version, but still came with XP.

Dom
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Nothing wrong with that! But I wonder how hot it'll get running 24x7. The Dell NB I use for incidental stuff runs hot after awhile - fans kicking on and off all the time. But it's old (like me), so maybe that's to be expected I guess. Not sure I'd want to use it for HB full time. But let us know how yours works out. Or maybe someone else here can report on using a NB/LT for a HB server. I do use several old Fujitsu tablet PCs (running Win2k) for HB remotes and they work 24x7 great.
Steve
dominicv

Post by dominicv »

Hey Steve,

It has been running for 24/7 for about a month.

Mind you, it is a Sony VAIO, LOL.

Actually I had never thought of the heat being a factor, I kept on thinking of the energy consumption.

Go figure, my usual of the track ideas.

Before I forget, I met a guy on e-bay the other day, he is sending me a list of items he has for sale, over 60 Z-Wave modules from Intermatic to Leviton, and thermostats, and controlers, etc.

I will post it, just in case someone is interested, it may be my opportunity to switch to Z-Wave, we shall see.

Speaking of age, my first modules had BSR written on then, and David Rye from X-10 was in diapers, does that make us about the same age.

Dom