NETWORK CONNECTION HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
dominicv

NETWORK CONNECTION HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by dominicv »

Good afternoon Folks,

I think from now on I will enter my daily problem.

Today I have been trying to log on to the HOUSEBOT server without too much success.

The first thing I did was to locate my IP address, I did so by going to this site ( http://ip-lookup.net )O.K. did that got my address, I then followed all the instruction for creating the software remote, perfect.

Here is the problem, in trying to log on to the HOUSEBOT SERVER, I get the following reponse :

Client is attempting to connect to the server, connection failed, a connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

Guys, I seriously beleive that HOUSEBOT's level of inteligence requirement has exeeded mine, by a long shot, I feel as dumb as a bag of dor knobs.

Having said that, I hope someone can help.

Thanks Guys,

Dumb Dom
yaccri
HouseBot Special Member

Re: NETWORK CONNECTION HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by yaccri »

You can connect the client software SWRemote to the HB server in several ways.

If they are both installed on the same PC, run the 'Local Software Remote'. The client will use IP address 127.0.0.1 to connect to the server. Make sure that the software remote name is exactly as typed in the server, including capital letters.

If the server is installed in one PC, and the client is on another PC *on the same network*, you can use the local network IP address OR the computer name.

If the client is not in the same network, and you try to connect from the internet, make sure to open port 5015 on your router.
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

You could always connect to your PC from the internet using a remote desktop software. With it you just run your SWRemote on your local HB machine and that's it.

Below is the string used from a shortcut on the desktop to start the SWRemote.
"C:\Program Files\Meedio\Meedio HouseBot\Clients\Winx86\SWRemote.exe" /ip 192.168.0.3 /name XGA Remote

And yes, firewalls can ruin your day. Make sure to open the correct port as Yaccri wrote!
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

If you are trying to do this outside of your network, follow Yaccri's and Richard's advice.

If this is being done within your home network with a PC attempting to connect to the HouseBot Server PC, then try this.

1) On the server PC go to Start->Run and type cmd. Once you have the command line, type IPConfig. The IP address of your server should be shown. Now type Exit.

2) Use this IP address for the swremote on the non-server PC.

3) Make sure you have a valid software remote created on the server and the name of this remote is populated in the splash/config screen of the swremote on the non-server PC.

4) Turn off any firewall software you may have running while you try to make this initial connection (both server and non-server PC).

Report back.

Osler
dominicv

Post by dominicv »

Richard, Yoram, Osler

I think I have figured out what I am doing wrong, and I don't like the solution.

Please correct me if I wrong.

First of all, I do not have a router, I have a DSL MODEM which is wireless, and also has 4 ethernet connections, but because of the DSL Modem type can it be used as a router for networking, the brand is a ( Two Wire )

Am I correct in assuming that in order to have the other computers connect to the Housebot Server, I will need a Wireless router.

Please let me know, if this could be my problem.

You know what they say ( Little knowledge can be dangerous ) that's me.

Guys, I really appreciate your assistance.

Dom
yaccri
HouseBot Special Member

Post by yaccri »

Hi Dom,

To connect SWRemote to the HB server, They both need to be on some network (local or internet). Wireless router is not a must.

Where is the HB server installed?
Which computer is running the SWRemote (is it another computer in the SAME home network)?

If they are both on the same network, can you browse from one computer and see the other computer?
dominicv

Post by dominicv »

Good afternoon Guys,

After trying to get every thing working, without success.

I decided to purchase a cheap D-Link wireless network, hopefully this will solve some of the problems.

I will keep you posted.

Don't go too far, chances are I will need your assistance, very shortly.

Thanks guys.

Dom
dominicv

Post by dominicv »

Good afternoon Osler, Richard, Yoram,

Well guys, I was going to install my router this morning, but decided to wait and try what you had all recommended first.

I did manage to create a network using Windows, I have reached a point where I can see all the computer from one computer and visa versa.

I then followed Osler tips, this is where I am at right now.

The SW/remote was created on the Non-Server computer, I am completing the
( Client configuration ) screen, ie. :

Software remote name --> Sample Theme
Server address --> Address number according to ipconfig.
Data Directory --> Here I assume its the directory assigned to SW on the
--> Non-Server computer
The only square that is checked is ( Delete image etc. )

After completing this step, I then try and select the Software Remote application from the Housebot Menu on the Non-Server computer, the screen shows up, then diappears as quickly.

I have a feeling its the Firewall on the Server computer that is blocking the SW/Remote.

The other situation is I have 4 computers, the Server computer running XP,the other 2 are running Vista, and the last one runnning 7.

I have tried to disable the firewall on the Server computer,which is the one running XP but in vain.

I think I am close, GURU's please help.

Dom
Richard Naninck

I don't think that this is a firewall problem because in that case it should tell you it can't connect but now it disappears real fast.

Where is your SWRemote.exe located on your remote PC?

Software Remote Name: Your name
Server Address: your Server PC name (if it is in the hosts file) or the Server PC's ip address
Root Application Directory: \Program Files\SWRemote\

In the C:\\Program Files\SWRemote\ directory on your remote PC you should find

C:\Program Files\SWRemote\Config and C:\Program Files\SWRemote\Images

Does the directory mentioned above exist?
dominicv

Post by dominicv »

Hey Richard,

I do not have a SWRemote folder, or SWRemote.exe either.

I will uninstall Housebot from the Remote PC and reinstall, since I have neither of the above.

Dom
dominicv

Post by dominicv »

O.K.

I have reinstalled Housebot on the Remote PC.

I now have a directory c:\Program Files\HouseBot and C:\Program Files\SWRemote and also c:\Program Files\SWRemote\Config

Having said that, the Config folder is empty, and I do not have C:\Program Files\SWRemote\Images.

One strange thing with Windows 7, you end up with two Program Files directory, 1 is Program Files and the other is Program Files (x86).

That's partially why I couldn't find anything the files were all over the place.

I'm sure I must be missing some files in the Config folder.

I still have not be able to access the HB Server from the remote.

Dom
Richard Naninck

First off, you don't need to install HB on the remote PC. HB is installed on the Server PC. The x86 SWRemote which is installed on the server PC must be copied to the remote PC in the directory I mentioned above (or any other directory you want it to be). If you got all the settings right, the remote starts and fills the config and iages directories with content copied from the server PC.

So uninstall HB again on the remote PC. Copy the swremote onto the remote PC and set it up right. Then run it and voila, you should be good to go.