Any ADI OCELOT out there

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
dominicv

Any ADI OCELOT out there

Post by dominicv »

Good morning Folks,

Do we have ADI Ocelot users on board.

If so please advise.

Dom
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Re: Any ADI OCELOT out there

Post by Steve Horn »

Used to. Went from Leopard touch screen to Ocelot. Then eliminated the Ocelot in favor of USBUIRT (for IR), Velleman K8055 USB anlg & dgtl I/O board, and eliminated all my X10 in favor of Insteon. I found the ADI stuff inserted too much delay and instability into my HA system. Still have the stuff but no near term plans to use them. Maybe someday on some type of standalone automation project.
Steve
roussell
Advanced Member

Post by roussell »

Steve, if you decide you want to unload your Ocelot and IR stuff let me know. I've got 7 of the same receivers for a whole-house audio project that I'll start on when the weather turns colder. I've yet to find a solution for multiple IR points that's cheaper than the ADI stuff.

Terry
dominicv

Post by dominicv »

ATT : Steve.

Good morning Steve,

I read your message with great interest.

I was wondering, did you have to write your own plugin for the Velleman Boards.

Dom
dominicv

Post by dominicv »

ATT : Terry,

I have an Ocelot, and a couple of other components I may be interested in selling.

Let me know if intertested.

Dom
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

dominicv wrote:ATT : Steve.

Good morning Steve,

I read your message with great interest.

I was wondering, did you have to write your own plugin for the Velleman Boards.

Dom
No, I used, with help from others here, stuff that was already posted. I can't put my finger on it now but if you do a search on this forum for Velleman you should find all the plug-in code and info that you need. In particular, there is a thread that I started looking for k=just that type of info and support. Got both.
Steve
Timoh
Advanced Member

Post by Timoh »

Likewise for me... I started with Ocelot, but have now decided to move on.
Ocelot was great when PCs where big and windows was wonky. But since I've moved to a thin, diskless, fanless PC, running a stripped down and optimized version of windows, I no longer do any processing on my Ocelot... It's now just dumb, doing IO and IR.
As soon as I can, I will be dumping it in favour of more modern technology.
Tim
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

I wouldn't mind running a thin stripped down version of Windows. How'd you go about do that? (I had to reboot my HB server last night because VBscripts stopped working!There's no excuse for that.
Steve
Timoh
Advanced Member

Post by Timoh »

The hardware I was using came with a stripped down/embedded version of XP. See this post... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=855976&p=448891

However, I recall at the time when I was planning/researching this, there was a ton of info on the internet about removing unwanted components from windows, and making it lighter. Lighter=more stable.

Tim
dominicv

Post by dominicv »

Hey Tim,
It's now just dumb, doing IO and IR.

What will you switch too, once you drop the Ocelot.

Dom
Timoh
Advanced Member

Post by Timoh »

Either phidgets or ironically enough, the Arduino.

Phidgets come with an API, so you can access them from a vbscript. That makes it fairly easy to do and phidgets are not too expensive,
If I go with Arduino, I would need to write a program that runs on the Arduino to make it talk to Housebot. It is very do-able, but a bit of extra work. The only reason I would consider Arduino over phidget is cost. On the Arduino, you would get at least 14 IO pins and 6 analog pins for ~$30.

Tim