USB --> SERIAL --> USB Feature ??????

Have an idea for a new feature? Voice your opinion here.
dominicv

USB --> SERIAL --> USB Feature ??????

Post by dominicv »

Good afternoon all,

Here is an issue I feel is of prime importance.

A great deal of peripherals still communicate via RS232 serial port and newer computers only have USB ports.

The problem is having Housebot recognize a USB ported peripherals or having Housebot recognise a Serial to USB converted port.

Without this feature, Housebot is crippeled.

Is there something that can be done to remedy this problem.

Dom
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Re: USB --> SERIAL --> USB Feature ??????

Post by Richard Naninck »

Well I have 13 true com ports on my system, 4 USB -> Serial com ports and 4 devices that are USB based but use the FTD2XX to make a virtual com port on a USB device. I haven't seen a Serial -> USB yet. I just picked my hardware so that it has a serial port on it. I really dislike USB mainly because of max cable length. That is not an issue with RS232 Com ports and HouseBot has the truely great Generic Serial device which makes it possible to write comms drivers to your own liking.
Last edited by Richard Naninck on Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dominicv

Re: USB --> SERIAL --> USB Feature ??????

Post by dominicv »

Good afternoon Richard,

I apologize, your are absolutely right, I found the feature about the comm port, somewhere in the documentation.

I do have a tendency have putting my foot in my mouth from time to time, no a comfortable move if you consider I wear size 12.

I will keep on reading.

Dom