TCP/IP support RFXCOM

Have an idea for a new feature? Voice your opinion here.
mholtkamp

TCP/IP support RFXCOM

Post by mholtkamp »

It would be nice if the next housebot version have direct TCP/IP support for the RFXCOM. So I don't have to use a COM-port replicator.
CRaZee

Re: TCP/IP support RFXCOM

Post by CRaZee »

That would be great.

Question is, will there ever be an update for housebot.
Last update was April 27, 2009!!

I want to buy homeautomation software, but i want a software that's still developping.
And looking at the last update, 1.5 years ago, it sounds like development of housebot has stopped.

Maybe cebotics can comment on that?
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

Although HB didn't get updated for a while, the software still has great support from lots of active members and Scott pitches in when problems arise directly related to the HB package. HouseBot is a very flexible piece of software that even if it doesn't get updated, will work for many years to come. Even without the tcpip support, RFXCom can still be done much unlike other software.
Even development is going on by users creating interface scripts for different hardware. Another good example would be the web remote Timoh is working on.
HB is the least expensive, most versatile, stable and fastest software for automation I can think of right now and will stay there for many years to come.
Timoh
Advanced Member

Post by Timoh »

I agree with Richard... You need to really think about what you want and what "update" means!

Scott will help you out and if you have a bug, and will most likely issue you a fix if there is no work-around. Besides that though, if the platform is stable and extensible, frequent "updates" or lack thereof, might not indicate a much of anything.

Housebot is flexible enough through scripting, generic serial device and the external control to pretty much connect to anything you want! Just because other HA software might come with more "available" devices or plugins, doesn't mean it's better. And likewise, are you really in interested in paying hundreds more to obtain 50 devices you will never use?

The way the industry is going, open and flexible is the way to go! While I haven't followed some of the other packages lately, I think it's a true testament to HouseBot's flexibility that someone wrote a twitter plugin, and I can now tweet my home into doing stuff!

Tim