sw remote will not start from second pc

Having problems? Maybe others have had the same problem too. Post HouseBot technical issues here.
jaga01

sw remote will not start from second pc

Post by jaga01 »

Hi, Im new to HB. I have installed the server/main program on pc a (equiped with Win7). When I copy the swremote to a usb stick and try to run it from another pc the following message apears "Unable to open trace file for logging". Then I close this message and in the sw remote spash screen the message apears saying Client is attempting to connect to server
Client cannot resolve adresss (192.168.1.113:5015) - This is the IP adress of the server that i manually has entered.
Obviosly it has problems reaching my server. But I have opened in the firewall for port 5015.
Can any one advice me?
BRDGS,
Jacob
roussell
Advanced Member

Re: sw remote will not start from second pc

Post by roussell »

Hmmm, I know you said you opened the firewall, but this really sounds like a firewall problem.

Try telneting to the HB server on port 5015 from the client PC and see if that connects. You won't be able to do anything form the telnet session, but it will either connect, or fail.

From a command prompt:
telnet 192.168.1.1 5015

Does the client firewall block outgoing connections? Does the user on the client PC have permission to write to the registry? (swremote stores info in the registry)

Terry
vcruz777

Post by vcruz777 »

Probably I am wrong but I think that with the new version of the swremote you actually have to install it in the pc (run swremote_setup.exe) to be able to run the swremote.exe. I am not sure you can run the .exe file directly from the USB stick if you don't run the setup file first. It should be included in the Clients folder.

Could be wrong,

Victor
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

Do something like this:

"C:\Program Files\HouseBot\Clients\Winx86\SWRemote.exe" /ip 192.168.0.3 /name XGA Remote
jaga01

Post by jaga01 »

I don't know what solved the problem, but now I am running swremote from another pc than the server. I think what I did was to open port 5015 on my router and then I installed the server on a windows xp instead of a Windows 7 pc.
Many thanks for your advice.
//Jacob