ElkM1 setup

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Re: ElkM1 setup

Post by Richard Naninck »

Dave,

Remember to untie your properties first before going into the dbase. (Or create a backup first so you can restore things after seeing an error). If your properties are still tied to a device, you will get errors during HB start.

You have an ELK with an rs232 port and are going ahead to connect HB using that port. So why don't you consider connecting your other devices (like receiver, projector, TV's etc) also using the comm ports. This will allow you two way comms and get status replies from your devices. In combination with touchscreens, that would be a way better solution than just using the UIRT. Unless of course your devices don't have comm ports to connect to.

It makes sense that your cabin doesn't have internet. Too bad!
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Richard, quick question on your Elk vbscript. (I finally got back to incorporating it here/making necessary changes for my environment etc. Was lacking sufficient serial ports.). What is the purpose of the Pincode timeout functionality? The script and HB are talking to/with the Elk, and all alarm activation/deactivation seems to work. But after arming, the 10 second(?) timer kicks out a "Pincode Timeout" message. I see where its related to a 24 hour clock timer. But what's its role in life? I have other questions about the script, but I want to dope them out myself.
Steve
Richard Naninck

Each time a digit of the 4 or 6 digit arm/dearm code is typed in, the 10 second clock resets. If you input one digit and wait for 11+ seconds, you have to start over. Just a safety thingy like all of these devices use timeouts in real life. It also has to work when you input your first digit around midnight. Hence the 24 hour code..
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

I don't have the code in front of me, but is it looking to get more than 4 digits? Mine is 4 and after I enter the code, and activate/deactivate the alarm, etc, I get the timeout msg 10 secs or so later, as if its expecting more. Too smart for its own good maybe. :D Anyway, that tells me what to look for when I get back into it.
Steve
Richard Naninck

It is setup for four digits, but unlike the ELK itself, it expects an arming command like Arm Away, Arm Stay or DisArm.
Just tested mine by entering my 4 digit pincode and pressing the Off (DisArm) button. I don't see a timeout message appearing. Maybe your script is old;)
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

I enter the 4 digit code, then press Stay (or whatever). I get the appropriate messages on the header line of the form, the usual chatter in the log, then get the timeout message.
Yes, its a Horn Variation of the original script you posted years ago. I had to change array sizes, fix a bug or two, remove some Dutch, etc. to get it to function here. I'll look into it some more... thanks!
Steve