Remote standby program

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Remote standby program

Post by Steve Horn »

This is the reverse of the Wake-On-LAN program that I'm using, that I got from Richard N. and Terry R. I'm looking for a small simple program that can be called preferably from HB to remotely put a network-connected PC into standby mode by specifying its IP or MAC. I can then use WOL to revive it. I've decided that I've got too many PCs (being used as software remotes) sitting running all night doing nothing (hopefully) except wasting power. So I thought I'd put something in place to put them in standby mode about the time I go into standby mode, then wake them up (via WOL) about the time I do. I found several full featured (and some costing $) programs that will do this, but they are designed for more heavy lifting (i.e. for net admins)than I need. Any suggestions?
Steve
menesi

Re: Remote standby program

Post by menesi »

PsShutdown http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 97541.aspx can suspend or hibernate local or remote computer, but identification of computers is from name, not from IP or MAC.
Laszlo Menesi
Steve Horn
HouseBot Guru

Post by Steve Horn »

Thanks Laszlo; that should do it! Small and simple. :D
Steve
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

A running PC uses power, but most pc's in standby still use power up to 13 Watts. I have a media PC which is remotely controlled using HouseBot in combination with a domotica switch. X10 could work, but I use FS20. I think Insteon and ZWave all qualify. The BIOS of the media PC is set to start @ power. So if power is applied to the PC, it justs boots up. Using a HouseBot replicator to communicate with the PC I simply issue a shutdown command on the media PC which cleanly shuts down the PC. When arming the alarm, the FS20 switch is also turned off to even kill the standby power usage. Simply turn on the FS20 switch using my servers HouseBot setup and the media PC boots up again. Also a very simple concept. Only costs a 20 Euro FS20 switch. Didn't calculate how much wasted Watts can be bought for 20 Euros :wink: