RS232 Problem

Having problems? Maybe others have had the same problem too. Post HouseBot technical issues here.
peakey

Re: RS232 Problem

Post by peakey »

Yes it is enabled, it is not enabled in the screenshot to allow me to open the command configuration. So this issue lies with the enabling of the hardware device, I get the same error message whether or not the hardware device is enabled or disabled.

Where can I download housebot from around 6-8 month ago that version worked first time?
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

@Scott,

Assume everything is setup the way it should... what produces an error like this? Can some dll (layer between HouseBot and Windows) be broken for this to produce the error?

@Peakey,

My .02 HB version dates from late april this year. The .01 version is about two months older which puts it in your timeframe. I still have the .01 version but I seriously doubt that will fix your problem.

Could you post the two definition files .ddf and .hdf just to check them?!

Still suggesting to get the baudrate down, but that should not produce the error.

Does your unit produce feedback? Do you see data returning in Hyperterm (except for the echo of course). In other words, can you force the unit to produce data which should show up in the received data properties?
peakey

Post by peakey »

Yes, all homevision commands are broadcast over the RS232, for instance when homevision sends an x10 command housbot receives displays the code.

Apparently ddf and hbf extensions are not allowed to be uploaded...
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

So you say that your Received Data property actually displays data. That means that your complete comms protocol is working fine.

The two definition files are just small xml files. You could copy the text and post it directly into the message.

Running out of ideas...
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Richard Naninck wrote:@Scott,

Assume everything is setup the way it should... what produces an error like this? Can some dll (layer between HouseBot and Windows) be broken for this to produce the error?
You will see that error if the hardware interface can't find an associated command for the property value change, or if it had a problem sending the command for some reason. If it has a problem sending the command, you will see an error message.

Peakey,
Are you entering the exact case for the property value (e.g. BBC1)? It won't matter with the * case, but when trying to match BBC1 it needs to be uppercase so it will match.

If you are trying Richards suggestion of the wildcard, make sure you delete or rename the old BBC? codes. The logic will first try and find an exact match (so it might be matching the BBC1). If no match is found, it will try for the * match.

I'm really surprised you are not seeing something in an interface trace. If you follow these steps are you seeing nothing in the log file in the HouseBot\Logs directory?

Just zip up the HDF/DDF file if it won't let you upload.
Scott
peakey

Post by peakey »

Yes the case is correct, I am trying the wildcard method so I have deleted all references to BBC, but that has made no difference to the commands being sent, but I have received 3 log events in the device log, When starting housebot I get:-

Device HVRS232 does not have a default property, I wll try and assign one. HSRS232 is the generic serial device.
Calling device run on device [HVRS232] [HV Device].

Then when entering BBC1 into the send data property I get:-

Sending command associated with [HV Device.Send Data] and Value [*]

No other logs are created after repeated entry into the send data property i.e entering BBC1 or BBC2 does not create any further log entries.

Although it says it is sending commands, no commands are sent to the com port, but the sniffer acknowledges the port being opened by housebot, when enabling the hardware.

I have tried entering default property yes into the send data in the generic serial device and also entered BBC1 as an initial setting, and restarted housbot but this makes no difference.

I have attached the requested files.

Thanks
Attachments
df.zip
(648 Bytes) Downloaded 237 times
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

I was able to successfully send data using your config files. I added the * Property value to the DDF if you want to try it (attached).

If you are seeing the "Sending Command associated with..." message, you should also see a trace message after that about it either being successfully sent or not. If you are NOT seeing the second message, I can only assume it is getting blocked while trying to send the data. However, if that were the case, you should still see a message in the hardware interface trace saying that it is sending the data.
Attachments
HVRS232.zip
(350 Bytes) Downloaded 220 times
Scott
peakey

Post by peakey »

Scott, I tried the file with your * alteration, this has no effect at all, I had already tried this earlier this week but I thought I was adding the value twice, when it is created from the property, it does not show in the generic serial device when you add the property to the definition, but it is there because you can assign commands in the device. So to confirm this has made no difference, the commands are not being sent and the logs do not update. When I have more time I will try completely removing housebot, and re-installing and use the widcard method to set things up from scratch then try again.