Is Housebot Standby proof?

Have an idea for a new feature? Voice your opinion here.
martijnj

Is Housebot Standby proof?

Post by martijnj »

Hi Scott,

I Have a touchPC (winXP) running housebot. Because it is in my bedroom I let it drop into standby mode and wake it up when the main HB server wants it to preform a task. After waking up this machine it look like it responces. But thats not the case. Housebot doesn't executetasks. When I quit HB the process isn't stopped. I have te manualty kill housebot in the taskmanager.

Any idea?

Martijn
ScottBot
Site Admin

Re: Is Housebot Standby proof?

Post by ScottBot »

Martijn,

The server was never designed or even tested to recover from standby/hibernate. I guess I just assumed that almost every setup would have some time-based tasks which would require the server to be running all the time to monitor the current time.
Scott
martijnj

Post by martijnj »

Scott,

Thanks for the fast awnser. I like to put this up for a feature request. For Energy saving (Save the Wolrd :wink: ) purposes I realy want to put this Replicated server in standby.

Martijn
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

It's a good feature request, and I'll move this topic into the feature request section. I realize it seems like it should be simple, but just off the top of my head the potential issues would be:

1) If it sleeps for an hour and there were tasks that should have executed during that hour due to time conditions, what should be done? Execute everything that should have happened in the past, or just skip them?

2) Hardware issues. I'm not sure how well the wide range of hardware interfaces supported are compatible with having the PC go to sleep. It may require reinitializing all interfaces when it wakes up.
Scott
martijnj

Post by martijnj »

I think the tasks should execute. I my case the master HB server has all the time tasks en runs WOL to wakeup the Slave HB.
Or you could maybe set this in a Wakeup task like the startup and shutdown task. If it is possible to let HB initialize the standby of de computer. You could prepair HB for the standby. (just an idea)

Martijn