How can I set up HB to work with serial to Ip converter

Simple advice that you may find useful. Feel free to discuss or add your own.
Thales

How can I set up HB to work with serial to Ip converter

Post by Thales »

I would like to control my Automation from another place using internet.

Is it possible?

If yes how can I setup serial interface on HB?
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Re: How can I set up HB to work with serial to Ip converter

Post by Richard Naninck »

IP to Serial doesn't give you a solution for control over internet. It's just a way to address serial devices through your router which increases the length between the device and the PC controlling it and it probably gives you more COM ports.

If you want to be able to control HA through the internet, you should set up a web server or simply use VNC, Remotely Anywhere to mirror your desktop or install a SWRemote at a remote location.

I guess I don't get your question since my answer seems a bit too obvious.
Thales

Post by Thales »

Dear Richard,
I undestand your answer, but what I need is do not have a computer pluged in and turned ON all the time.

I thought that with a serial to IP converter can I run on the computer I am.

But you said about web server, I am trying to find this solution without success can you explain how to do it with HB?
b_weijenberg

Post by b_weijenberg »

You can use the RFXCOM Ethernet version for this which is fully supported by HouseBot.
On the remote location you need to have an Internet connection with a fixed IP address.

The configuration could be:
US USERS
A 83004N 2 port LAN interface equiped with:
- a 433.92MHz receiver to receive Oregon Scientific temperature and humidity sensors,
- a 310MHz receiver to receive US X10 lighting and security sensors.
- an additional 77000N RS232 Serial Interface module to connect a CM11a to control US X10 modules
http://www.rfxcom.com/receivers.htm#80003
http://www.rfxcom.com/transmitters.htm#77000

EUROPEAN USERS
A 83004 2 port LAN interface equiped with:
- a 433.92MHz receiver to receive Oregon Scientific temperature and humidity sensors & European X10 lighting and security sensors and remotes & HomeEasy and KlikAanKlikUit wall switches and remotes.
- optional an 868.95MHz receiver to receive Visonic security sensors,
- an additional 70031 433.92MHz RF transmitter to control X10 modules, HomeEasy, KlikAanKlikUit, Harrison curtains.
http://www.rfxcom.com/receivers.htm#80003
http://www.rfxcom.com/transmitters.htm#70031
Richard Naninck

I am not sure what both of you mean, but it feels like we are talking about different things here.

To get it straight first:

1. Is it about controlling HA from a remote (any internet PC) location?
2. Or is it about a Serial to IP converter Or maybe even an IP to Serial converter?
3. Or do we want to control HA devices somewhere in the house dislocated from the PC and use somekind of IP converter to control the HA over this long(er) range than maybe serial would accomplish?

In case of 1: go with my first post. I logon to my PC at home from any internet location using a remote desktop and am able to control everything like I can when sitting behind my PC at home.

In case of 2 and 3: b_weijenberg's post could come in handy But that seems more like an IP to serial converter. (I didn't study the RFXCom devices so I am not sure)

While reading your second post, I don't get what you mean by not having a PC turned on all the time. That means you want some stand alone HA and have the ability to sometimes login with HouseBot for retreiving status, logs and control?!? The rest of your post is hard to get as well. Please try to describe what you want to accomplish.

About the webserver, you could use the hb_control.exe + examples from the plugins directory and do a forum search for examples. I believe user Martijn does something with this option, but you should be able to write your own html.
Thales

Post by Thales »

Richard,

I will try to explain better what I need.

Today I have a computer running HB, pluged in to my serial HA.
I can access at any place without a problem using a software remote from HB.

What I need?

To turn this computer off .
For this I thought two ways:

Try to use a web server runnig HB, and access the HA by using a web browser. I did not find any way to do it at this time.
Or
Use any PC at any place runnig HB to access my HA. I thought that for this can use a serial to IP converter, but I did not know how to set HB serial interface to understand the COM port because it will not be connected to the HA system directly.
Richard Naninck

Does this mean you have stand alone HA connected to a PC running HouseBot for display of status and control?
Could you tell me what kind of device(s) (HA) you are operating so I might even understand it better?
Now you don't want the HouseBot PC running at all times and you still want to be able to control the HA even when the HouseBot PC is turned off. If you do that, you give up on all of the nice features you get when connecting multiple devices to a PC running HouseBot because you can only tie different devices together with Home Automation software. Given that, you are probably only operating one stand alone device (therefore it helps to know what kind of device you are talking about).
If I understand correctly, this device has a serial port and you want to connect a serial to IP converter to this device, so the IP part can be connected to your router and from there access multiple PC's. Interesting thought. Unless your HA has a built in webserver (in which case serial is not needed), you need to install HouseBot on all of the PC's you want to control the HA through and even than you might run into poblems when the converter needs to talk to a static IP or when multiple PC's are running at the same time. I would suggest a single PC in control for all HA and connect to that PC using a remote desktop, an own built web server or simply a remote SWRemote. Maybe have that PC remotely boot up by means like wake up on lan, power switched using X10 or something else, wake up on a modem ring etc. Wait a little until the PC has booted and than login to control your HA. If I am not on the right track this time, I can't give you anymore suggestions..

Good luck
Thales

Post by Thales »

Richard,

Thank you for your time.
Only to you know my HA is not stand alone, because using that I can control all my staffs, A/V, lights, funs, security systens, without needed multiples itens runnig on PC.
This is why I am looking for something like I said.

But I understand that is not so easy.

thank you again