Proliphix Thermostat

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Proliphix Thermostat

Post by Osler »

Is there anyone out there using one of these at the moment? I am writing a COM object to allow HB to interface to them via the script engine and I need some testers. I just finished running CAT5e and 2-conductor sensor wire to my thermostats in my house, but haven't yet purchased one. I have a basic object thrown together based upon the API posted on the prophilix site; however, I can't debug it because I have nothing to program against. If anyone is willing to test this out for me, I will package up the object and create a simple script to go along with it. Let me know.

http://www.proliphix.com if you don't have one yet and are interested.

Osler
roussell
Advanced Member

Re: Proliphix Thermostat

Post by roussell »

Same story here, I've settled on the Proliphix but haven't bought one yet. Our current thermostat is dying and I'm just try to squeeze all the life I can from it before spending ~$300 on another one. I will eventually get one, but hopefully ours will last a little longer. I'll let you know when we get one and would love a copy of the code but don't hold your breath waiting on me. Thanks in advance for sharing.

Terry
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Post by Richard Naninck »

I have these thermostats setup in my house. Every room has its own thermostat. I control 10 in total through my pc interface. All wireless. A single thermostat can control up to 8 radiator control motors also wireless. You can take a look at Conrad.nl and search for FS20. It's a complete line of wireless domotica which interfaces perfectly. I wrote a script that monitors all messages for status and control through my theme.
Attachments
thermostat.jpg
thermostat.jpg (14.43 KiB) Viewed 3376 times
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

roussell:

I am probably going to pick up one to program against, then. I was hoping you would already have one based upon some old threads I had found you participating in last year on cocoontech.

Richard:

That looks like some interesting equipment. It doesn't appear to be available in the US, though. Thanks for the link!

Osler
Richard Naninck

Osler:

I have the same problem with the US ZWave not being available here. Europe has some ZWave, but not all and on the standard 868MHz freq whereas the US sells it with 933MHz or something like that. That band is not avail in Europe. So I searched and came across this German FS20 stuff. I liked ZWave because of it's bubble enlargment feature but FS20 has repeaters to control range problems. It's all very reliable and there is a great variaty in units to control curtains, lights and appliances as well as wind meters, rain sensors, alarm sensors and HVAC control. All very cheap and easy to come purchase. I use the ELK M1 Gold for the alarm portion and both the ELK and FS20 integrate well using HouseBot. When an ELK sensor tripps when it's dark, FS20 switches the applicable light in the room. Just too bad not many people use it. It would be nice to program on something used by many more people here on the board.
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

I agree with you. Looking over the FS20 stuff, I was very impressed with the range of options available for integration. I wish something similar was available in the U.S. It would be so nice not to have a hodge-podge of equipment to accomplish all of the needed tasks for automation. It appears you have a much easier task if integrating a variety of inputs/outputs over the same "bus"....very nice.

Osler
Richard Naninck

Well, not really a bus system but indeed FS20 makes HA easy while remaining good on the WAF;)
My PC holds 13 serial ports all occupied and stil I have to use USB ports (to serial) to get everything connected. After having played with FS20 for a few months now I guess I am happy with the choice.
roussell
Advanced Member

Post by roussell »

Osler wrote:roussell:
I am probably going to pick up one to program against, then. I was hoping you would already have one based upon some old threads I had found you participating in last year on cocoontech.
Osler
Yeah, I had every intention, but the one I was watching on eBay got away from me, then the holidays sucked away all of my "disposable" income. Now my wife has a competing and more expensive hobby - photography. She just spent on a lens what I paid for HB, the server it's on and a good chunk of Insteon gear... :? So, I will get one - eventually - I just need to wait until the current one dies.

Terry
roussell
Advanced Member

Post by roussell »

Richard, I would LOVE to see a showcase of your home and it's setup. You seem to have everything! You're not actually Pieter from bWired.nl are you??? :wink: Actually, in thinking about some of your previous posts, you may actually have more than him. :D

Terry
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

I just need to wait until the current one dies.
May I suggest a hammer....

Osler
Richard Naninck

BWired.nl had my attention for a while but he does everything to monitor the most crazy things. I am not him! :D
What differs in my setup is the complete media part and the integration of media and HA into one setup. I use Meedio for the media and tap into Meedio's message stream to get control and status of all Meedio is doing. Furthermore I use Meedio's SQLite databases and importers to visualize and control everything Meedio has to offer in my HouseBot theme. Having control of both Meedio and a large scale of Home Automation devices makes for a nice integrated setup. When I start my home theater, not only lights, curtains, the receiver and projector fire up, but also the complete media part does it's job through my HB SWRemote. I have setup two PC's to serv mmy media. One PC runs the HB server and all devices and holds all the media files and another PC is integrated using HB's replicators and a separate meedio set so I can control two meedio sets anywhere in the house. The HB server PC runs dualhead so the primary head is there to control the swremote on touchscreens and the secondary head to display meedio.
My serial ports are occupied by 5 touchscreens, a Kramer 8x8 VGA matrix switcher, a multizone Onkyo receiver, 1 plasma, 3 lcd tv's and a projector, my ELK alarm system, an own built wireless system to control my fireplace, some curtains and some parts of the HVAC. USB is used for the FS20 PC interface, the USB UIRT, another touchscreen and some more I can't think of right now. The matrix is connected to all PC video heads as inputs and all touchscreens, a 24" PC monitor, tv's, plasma and the projector as output. That way I can see any PC on any screen in the house on any resolution.
Only thing missing now is my camera setup. That will be the Everfocus 410D in the near future. It can be fully controlled using an rs 485 port and acts like a networked PVR with a VGA output that can go into the matrix. That way I can get camera's on all panels in the house again and make it smart. So somebody rings the doorbell, HB searches for TV's that are switched on (all generic serial) and switches the sources of the applicable panels to RGB in and sets the matrix to display the correct camera.

Sorry for wandering off topic here btw!

roussell wrote:Richard, I would LOVE to see a showcase of your home and it's setup. You seem to have everything! You're not actually Pieter from bWired.nl are you??? :wink: Actually, in thinking about some of your previous posts, you may actually have more than him. :D

Terry
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

Mine has arrived. The proliphix site is having something of a sale at the moment and the device can be had for much cheaper than SmartHome. I still need to get it connected up and then I can start the ActiveX object development.

Osler
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

Ok...I had to install a new switch and run some more CAT5e to get the thermostat connected to the network. I got around to doing this yesterday during naptime. I spent some time coding this evening and am successfully getting information from the thermostat. Next on the list is to be able to submit changes to the thermostat. Once this is done I will get something rolled up for use in HouseBot.

Osler
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

I have a basic Windows Script Component that encapsulates the Proliphix Thermostat. It allows for status to be obtained as well as setting of all of the read/write parameters. It's not perfect yet, but if you have one of these and are interested in some alpha testing, let me know.

Osler
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

Find attached a .zip file with .hbx file that will import an NT20 device and associated script into HouseBot. In addition, the .wsc file that is needed to create the COM object that encapsulates the thermostat and is used by the script. The script checks for changes to the thermostat made in HB every 500 ms and will report the updated value. The thermostat is polled every 1 minute for all available values which is the limit imposed by the thermostat. In addition, issues have been reported with the thermostats keeping accurate time and, as a result, I have set the script so that it updates the thermostats time every day at 12:00 AM.

Setting periods and classes (i.e., in depth scheduling) should be done via the thermostats web interface as there are no methods for doing this via the API. Current/Active periods will, however, be reported by the script.

Osler
Attachments
Proliphix Thermostat.zip
(9.31 KiB) Downloaded 190 times