Control Housebot via email

Have an idea for a new feature? Voice your opinion here.
dorrsr

Control Housebot via email

Post by dorrsr »

I am currently evaluating the Housebot software and the software is extremely robust and capable. One feature which I saw in a competitor which I liked was the ability to trigger automation tasks by the use of inbound email. I see there is an SMTP send device, it would be great to have an POP/IMAP listen device that would interpret certain keywords (including a password) and allow triggering of automation tasks. This would allow me to send an email on a PDA or other remote device without having to install the software remote code.

Thanks.
Great product!
Steve Dorr
ScottBot
Site Admin

Re: Control Housebot via email

Post by ScottBot »

Steve,

We must be on the same wavelength. I'm right in the middle of writing a new POP3 Device that should do pretty much what you are looking for.
Scott
James D

Post by James D »

I have the pop and smtp services incorporated into my HouseBot configuration. Check my post under the General on the forum, and look for "Control Home Via Email or SMS for Dummies." I am now able to "text" my home with varies command. Such as turning lights on and off when I am out of town. Turn on my music, on my garage (if people arrive at my home before me) or I am looked out. Sky is the Limit. LOL. Hope this helps

I am eagerly waiting for Scott's pop3 configuration. Keep me informed.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

James D wrote:...I am eagerly waiting for Scott's pop3 configuration. Keep me informed.
There will be a POP3 Device in the next release. Through Tasks or Scripts, you will be able to control HB through emails. Should be neat, but pretty simple.
Scott
James D

Post by James D »

Cool I look forward to using it or breaking it. LOL.