Girder 5

Having problems? Maybe others have had the same problem too. Post HouseBot technical issues here.
jonkjon

Girder 5

Post by jonkjon »

I am having some issues with running Girder 5 concurrently with HB. Specifically, when i open my software remote and then exit it and return to the designer, HB locks up. Some elements of my software remote don't display correctly either when Girder 5 and HP are running together.
Not so much a bug report i guess as much as an informational post......I just noticed this happening and i will watch it a little more closely over the next few days and try to get more specifics. Anyone else running Girder 5 with HB?
jonkjon

Re: Girder 5

Post by jonkjon »

It looks like the Internet event server has changed in G5 as well. That doesn't bode well for the Girder device.....I have eliminated many of the problems though between G5 and HB by tweaking my software remotes. The one thing that is definitely a problem though at this point is the global cache interface. It seems like it only wants to work with either G5 or HB but not both at the same time. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

jonkjon wrote:It looks like the Internet event server has changed in G5 as well. That doesn't bode well for the Girder device
What has changed with it? Is it just a simple change in the command line parameters, or something more significant?
The one thing that is definitely a problem though at this point is the global cache interface. It seems like it only wants to work with either G5 or HB but not both at the same time. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
But that's always been the case, right? Since the Global Cache is RS232, only one application can have the port opened at a time. Is that the problem you mean?
Scott
jonkjon

Post by jonkjon »

As far as the event server goes, the ieventc.exe file doesn't seem to exist. At least, i can't find it anywhere.Therefore, i am unable to setup the Girder Bridge device. I am not really sure how it has changed other than that.

The problem with the global cache i am having is with the ir. I have a software remote that i use to turn on my onkyo receiver via the global caches' ir. I also use the ipod touch to turn on the receiver using girder. If i have both Hb and Girder running, the software remote will not work with the receiver at all but the ipod/Girder setup works. If i turn girder off, the software remote works fine. I was going to use the girder bridge device to try and send events to girder and do away with the gc device in my current HB setup, but.....(back to above)...

I hope that made some sense!
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

You might want to ask over on the Girder forums about ieventc.exe. I'd be surprised if they removed it from the product, since it provided a pretty nice method of controlling Girder remotely.
Scott
jonkjon

Post by jonkjon »

Scott, would this post tell you anything?
http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthre ... ht=csevent
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

If cevent does the same thing that ieventc used to do, then it should be easy to change the pluin. Do you know if the command line arguments are the same? Maybe run ieventc /? at the command prompt (or find in the online help) and let me know what it says.
Scott
jonkjon

Post by jonkjon »

It looks like there are 2 standalon applications with Girder 5 for sending events. One is event.exe and the other is Csevent.exe. Both are in the Pomixis/Girder5 directory. The event.exe application is used to send events to girder and the Csevent.exe application is used to send events to Girder from another machine. The syntax for event.exe is:

"C:\Program Files\Promixis\Girder\event.exe" MyEvent
"C:\Program Files\Promixis\Girder\event.exe" MyEvent 1000 "Parameter One"
"C:\Program Files\Promixis\Girder\event.exe" MyEvent 18 -verbose
"C:\Program Files\Promixis\Girder\event.exe" MyEvent 18 one two three -verbose

and the syntax for Csevent.exe is

Name or IP Address of Girder machine; Port number of server (20005 by default); Password of server ("girder" by default); the event string; the device number; an optional payload string.

I'm not sure why the syntax for Csevent.exe has event.exe shown but that is how it is in the manual.
I haven't been able to send an event yet but i'll keep trying. I hope this is somewhat helpful.

EDIT** I was able eto get this event to run "C:\Program Files\Promixis\Girder5\event.exe" MyEvent
I am using Vista Ultimate and have to run cmd as an admin...... :oops: A little more specifics on the syntax for event.exe (Excerpted from the G5 manual)

"Event.exe requires at least one parameter, the event string. This can optionally be followed by the device number and up to three payload strings. If the device number is not specified, it defaults to 18 which shows as "Girder" in the event log. There is also an optional non-positional parameter -verbose which causes an informational window to be shown in addition to sending the Event. This may be useful for diagnostic purposes."

Also above, the command lines should show "Promixis/Girder5" and not "Promixis/Girder" as above......
Again, i hope this helps.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

The command line syntax for Csevent.exe appears to be almost identical to the old ieventc.exe syntax. Close enough. I can easily add a Property to the Girder Bridge Device that allows you to specify the name of the application, but you could probably just rename Csevent.exe to ieventc.exe (or create a CMD file to call it). Let me know how that works.
Scott
jonkjon

Post by jonkjon »

I can't find a way to get Girder to learn a new event from hb. I never had girder 4 but, it appears things are drastically different than before as the help in hb doesn't seem to apply any more. If i go into the event editor, and press the learn button, there is no option to learn from just the event server so, the event obviously goes away when i click over to hb and girdrer registers a switch task event. I think that now we are just going to have to send an event to girder and then drag/drop that onto the action.....I'll keep looking.....
jonkjon

Post by jonkjon »

I also see this when i run csevent.exe

To simply send a command without any windows opening do this:

csevent localhost 20005 girder hello 18 PayloadHere......

and this when i run event.exe

To simply send an event without any windows opening do this:

event hello
jonkjon

Post by jonkjon »

I'm not having any luck with renaming the csvent.exe file to ieventc.exe. HB keeps giving me an error. The command - ieventc localhost 20005 girder hello 18 payload - runs fine from a command prompt. I know that i am missing something.......
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

jonkjon wrote:...HB keeps giving me an error...
What's the error it gives?
Scott
jonkjon

Post by jonkjon »

The error was generic, due to an error the property did not change....but, i fixed that. I had an error in my path to ieventc. However, no events are being generated in girder's log window when i set the event string. I have a feeling that this may be related to Vista's UAC. I cannot run the command successfully from a bat file unless i right click on it and choose run as administrator.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

jonkjon wrote:...I have a feeling that this may be related to Vista's UAC. I cannot run the command successfully from a bat file unless i right click on it and choose run as administrator.
For the sake of testing (or long term fix, if you like), try turning off the UAC for the HB user account and see if it works. You can do this from the User Accounts option in the Vista control panel.
Scott