Control Home Via Email or SMS for Dummies

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Re: Control Home Via Email or SMS for Dummies

Post by Osler »

Yes, simply move your current config file out of the HouseBot folder, reinstall, and then move it back into the folder. I typically rename the newly installed config file as Config_Base before I move the true config file back in so you have access to the base install items "just in case".

Osler
James D

Post by James D »

Hey Sundodger,

When you update HouseBot it will keep all your settings and configuration. At least that has been my experience. If you want to back up your configurations manual; I just go into my HouseBot\Config folder under windows explorer:
Copy the HBData.MDB
I also copy (under HouseBot\Themes) all my xml files. I usually sort the directory by data to have the lastest and greatest SWremote files. I then take my HBData.MDB and XML files and zip them up calling the appropiate date.

or

If you want to do it the correct and easy way
Open HouseBot
Click File--->Backup Configuration
This will go through the process of backing up all your information for HB.
Take several minutes
Update HB to the new current version
I usually install all the features for HB, because you never know when you might need something.
Once installed
Click on the device folder under HB ---> click Add Device--->click software device---> and pop3 Email Device should be there.

Hope this helps.
zion_uk

Post by zion_uk »

Hi,

Sorry for my naive question, but where is the 'SMS' bit here? I've read the instructions and it seems to be a way to control HB though email, but how do I do it through SMS?

Thanks,

Scott
James D

Post by James D »

Actually I use the AOL Instant messaging device to receive my text messages.