SmartPhone Software Remote

Have an idea for a new feature? Voice your opinion here.
tenorman

SmartPhone Software Remote

Post by tenorman »

I think that this is actually two feature requests (FR) and two bugs (BUG).

With some playing around, I was able to get the software remote to run on a 320x240 WM5 SmartPhone. There was some guesswork involved since only part of the configuration screen is displayed.

BUG1: Configuration screen does not display properly on a SmartPhone.

Now my problem is with keypresses. I have found many differences between using my PocketPC and SmartPhone as a remote. There is no touch screen on my SmartPhone. I tried to use "control focus", but it does not directly respond to keypresses.

FR1: Allow "control focus management" to use the local keypresses.

After setting up a status variable and setting it to the last key pressed based on the panel properties I found that only Cursor Up/Down/Left/Right work on a SmartPhone. Button 1/2/3/4/5 and Cursor Enter do not work.

BUG2: Cursor Enter does not work on a SmartPhone.

Then after making a script that monitors my keypress status variable and sends focus commands to panels, I found that I must send to all remotes because a remote cannot run a script from a button press.

FR2: Allow activating scripts from Software Remote button presses.

Sorry for piling all of these into one post.

I know that most people are using large touch screens for remotes, and I too have my "table top" remote. I actually find that it is very useful to control my house remotely using a VPN and I would like to extend that functionality to my phone.
-Scott