Theme editer panel tabs

Have an idea for a new feature? Voice your opinion here.
Richard Naninck
HouseBot Guru Extraordinaire

Theme editer panel tabs

Post by Richard Naninck »

My theme consists of over 50 panels all with sensible names. On my 15" screen where I develop the panels, the panel tabs scroll of to the right side. This is all OK but...

It would be nice if the left and right arrow that are visible on the top right of the editer also show on the left side.

I arrange my panels in a certain order by grouping together the panels for a device. My Receeiver has about 5 panels in use and they are all in tabs next to eachother. I did this by re-arranging the XML file by cutting/pasting <Skin> .... </Skin>
It would be very nice if tabs could be moved in the editer just like colums in excel. Example: I have 50 panels in total and my receiver panel is tab 5. Now I want to build an additional receiver panel by pressing on the create new panel button. The tab for this panel then shows up all the way to the right (off the screen) as tab 51.

If people don't want to edit the XML file, all panels could be duplicated in a new theme in the correct order, but that is a bit of a hassle.

Hope you get what I mean. Not even sure if it is doable.
incoronado

Post by incoronado »

My top right scroll arrows in the theme editor have disappeared and I don't know how to get them back. Any ideas?
Richard Naninck

This may very well be a stupid answer, but it could be an obvious one so bare with me. Did you set the bottom scroll bar all the way to the right? Because of my 15" TFT and XGA resolution, I always get a scroll bar in the bottom (left / right) and I never see the buttons because they fall off to the right. You may have changed something in your resolution setup?
This porbably isn't your case. But hey...
incoronado

Post by incoronado »

Yes. I have about 25 panels and have been aware of that for a while. If I scroll the window all the way to the right I used to see the panel tab navigation scroll tool (for lack of a better description), but it disappeared. I have to select the last panel tab I can see and use the arrow keys to get to the panels that are not visible. I suspect there is some setting in my housebotserver.ini file that is messed up. It is not obvious to me what setting controls this.

Scott, Any ideas?
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

incoronado wrote:... Scott, Any ideas?
Not really. I've seen the issue where you have to scroll the main view over to see the right edge of the panel with the scrollbars. Although this is a usability issue, it's not really incorrect.

I haven't see the scroll arrows disappear entirely, and I'm not sure what to suggest. I tried to have the tabs stacked at one point, but it reduced the size of the panel and I didn't like the look.

There may still be a better option... waiting for me to find it.
Scott
incoronado

Post by incoronado »

I know what you mean on the scrollbar functionality, and this is not the issue. The scroll selector for the tabs is not available. The only thing I can think of that cause this was enabling my HDTV as a secondard monitor and setting the video card to span both monitors. I tried creating another popup panel that started @ position x=1025 y=0. My primary monitor is 1024x768. I'm not sure about the timing, but I think his problem seemed to start after I did this. I deleted this panel, but the problem still exists.
Richard Naninck

You might want to check the theme xml file. I have seen many items that have wrong coordinates. For some reason button copies also appear way off. If this happens to screen resolutions as well, you may just never see the end of the screen because the panel is larger than you screen res. Not sure though. There is an issue with that because when the first panel in the list has a smaller res than the next panels, you won't see the entire content of these next panels. (At least it was like that in V2 and I didn't check for this in V3). I will test this and report back, because that may qualify as a bug.
Richard Naninck

Thanks Mike for the cursor trick. I didn't know that the up and down arrows could be used to scroll through the tabs. Very handy!
Richard Naninck

@Mike,

I just tested (back home) with different panel x-axes resolutions and when the first panel in the xml file (the one that shows after the theme editor has finished building and starts displaying) is lets say only 500 pixels wide, the scroll bar below doesn't show and there is no way to get to the tab cursors. That's why I make sure the first panel in the xml file is at least 1024 (native res) wide.

@Scott,

Maybe this does qualify as a bug. The theme editor should open up as wide as the largest panel in the x-axes.

If you have trouble understanding, I could post some images to clarify.

Easy to test. Set the native res @ 1024 (XGA) and create two panels. First one has a background of only 400 pixels wide and the seconds is 1024 wide. Now open up the theme editor and you will see that there is no bottom scroll bar in the theme editor. When switching to the second panel (1024) the scroll bar stays away whereas it should appear to get to the right most part of the panel. Also the tab cursors can never be found. This can be overcome by placing (extra) tab cursors on the left side of the tabs.