Web Browser: Customize On-The-Fly

General HouseBot discussion. Any issues that don't fit into any of the other topics belong here.
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

markd wrote:I don't see the connect/disconnect thing happening. . . is that in the line where it gives state like sleeping?
Be aware that if the server thinks the SWRemote is sleeping, it won't send any property value changes to it. When the SWRemote wakes back up (from the user interacting with it), it will request updates for all values on the active panels.
Scott
markd
Advanced Member

Post by markd »

Thanks Scott- Is that the correct location to see if the connect/disconnect thing is happening?

markd
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

Yea, that's the spot. I don't think my comment is an answer to your issue, but I just wanted to clarify that if you see the remote sleeping, it won't be getting any updates (should have nothing to do with the performance issues you were talking about).
Scott
markd
Advanced Member

Post by markd »

Ok! I got back to a bad state. The browser had definitely lost contact with the HB device. This left me no way to kill it (since I have it as full screen). So I ran taskmgr and killed the process. SWremote was responsive.

Then I re-entered the page where I open the browser- it opened, then closed. I went back and did it again- this time it opened and stayed open. I hit refresh once, it refreshed. I walked away (made dinner, ate, cleaned up, put the kids to bed ;-) and came back- returned to my main page in the remote- the time is no longer incrementing! The remote is responsive, but does not appear to be connected to HB.

The state is Sleeping, and it is logged in at 8:35:16 pm, which is when I put the kids to bed. The time is stuck at 5:47, which I think is the last time I hit refresh.

If I go back to the browser, and hit my refresh button, the browser does get that message- and what the heck- it woke up the remote! The time increments very fast from 5:47 to 9:00, and the other state catches up. The state is now In Session, 9:02.

Any ideas? Its almost like comms are lost, and the events just stack up for a while. Then when comms are restored, everything comes through. THis is the case for the SWremote, and, I think, the browser- the reason it keeps quitting when I try to restart it is that all the attepted quit commands are still out there.

Does this make any sense??

Markd
ScottBot
Site Admin

Post by ScottBot »

The SWRemote will put itself to sleep if the battery level (if running on battery) is below the battery percentage set in the SWRemote config. It will also put itself to sleep if you press the off/suspend button (Win CE devices only).

The server will put the SWRemote to sleep if it loses connectivity with the remote. It pings the remote periodically and if the remote fails to respond it will no longer try and communicate with the remote until the remote reestablishes the connection.

If you suspect a problem with the remote sleeping when it should not have, I suggest turning on the Client and Client Socket tracing and see if that gives more information.
Scott
markd
Advanced Member

Post by markd »

ScottBot wrote:The SWRemote will put itself to sleep if the battery level (if running on battery) is below the battery percentage set in the SWRemote config. It will also put itself to sleep if you press the off/suspend button (Win CE devices only).
Running off wall current, and win2k, so these would seem to be out.

ScottBot wrote: The server will put the SWRemote to sleep if it loses connectivity with the remote. It pings the remote periodically and if the remote fails to respond it will no longer try and communicate with the remote until the remote reestablishes the connection.

If you suspect a problem with the remote sleeping when it should not have, I suggest turning on the Client and Client Socket tracing and see if that gives more information.
This could be it- I will try that tonight and see if I can get any more data.

Thanks

Markd
jonkjon

Post by jonkjon »

Is there any chance that this could work on windows 2K client?

**Never mind i got this to work after digging a little deeper into the posts here.....
jonkjon

Post by jonkjon »

New question.......how can i get my onscreen keyboard (win 2k) to work with this? I cant seem to find a way to enter anything into input fields.
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

Such as entering text into Google to perform a search?

Osler
jonkjon

Post by jonkjon »

Yes. Exactly what i am looking for.......
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

Hmm...I hadn't actually anticipated it being used in this fashion. Let me play around with it this weekend and see if I have similar issues on my system (XP using Desxcape to RDP into the server). We can try to come up with a solution for this.

I will also update the doc's for this thing this weekend as well so future users don't have to troll through 7 pages of posts to figure out how to use it.

Osler
jonkjon

Post by jonkjon »

Looking forward to what you can come up with. When i try to use it from within my win 2k tablet, the keyboard pops up and gets sandwiched between the browser window and the hb remote panel that it is running from. I've played around with the "always on top" settings and that doesn't seem to help. I may try the keyboard script that is on this forum to see what that can do. Thanks again for the effort.
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

The SmartDisplay has a similar keyboard. Let me take a peak at it and see what I can come up with. This, however, may be more involved than I would like.

What happens if you turn off always-on-top and then pop the keyboard onto the screen?

Osler
jonkjon

Post by jonkjon »

I have this working! What happens, for me, is that i have a main menu with options like lighting, security, internet... i was using the same background image, for consistency, on all of my panels except for the main menu. The problem was that when i was on the hb browser with it set to always on top, the on screen keyboard was being hidden by the browser window. If i set it to not be on top, then the browser panel would come to the foreground thus hiding the browser window. So, i chopped off the lower half of the browser panel background and have the browser panel close the main menu (as that is the only access point to the browser panel at this time). I have the browser window sized so that the windows task bar is visible. That gives me access to the keyboard control at all times. Normally i don't want to see the task bar as i like to have my skins run at full screen. Now,with this arrangement, the only time i see the windows task bar is when i am using the browser. Basically the browser panel background is just a bar across the top of the screen that gives me the ability to navigate using a location box, forward and back buttons etc,. There is also a close button on the bar that closes the browser, and also closes the browser panel. I use tasks to close/open the main menu panel when the browser panel is entered/exited. If i didn't close the main menu panel, the browser would get hidden when i clicked on the keyboard control as i am not able to leave the browser on top. With the browser set to on top, the keyboard control gets hidden right away.........whew! This is great.....
Osler
HouseBot Guru

Post by Osler »

Cool...one less thing to do this weekend. I will update the documentation, though.

Osler